The Student Room Group

Dropping out twice

Hi, I'm 49&a single parent carer to my 17yo disabled daughter. My oldest(20) is at Uni in 1st year. I'm currently unemployed, claim uc&have limited capability for work due to past mental health issues and caring responsibilities.I studied the 1st year of a Hnd in 1994-95.I was failing the course due to the passing of my bf in December 94.I was advised to resit my 1st year. Back then tuition was paid for and I received a grant based on my Mums low income as she was also a single parent. I started the 1st year again & had a maintenance loan of £1200.95-96 from slc, a few months in I suffered a miscarriage and withdrew from the course.I never really earned above the threshold to pay back until 2000&believe I paid instalments a few years b4 I got pregnant&was made redundant the same day I found out. I deferred my loan til 2003 when my daughter was born&continued to defer on mat leave. In 2005 I went back to a different Uni doing a different course entirely, 1st year was a foundation degree leading onto the 2nd Yr of a BA(hons) I applied as a single parent as by then her Father had left but by Jan 2006 he suffered a nervous breakdown and was sectioned so I was struggling to study with no child maintenance and helping him out as my child's Father with visits.Around the same time my Dad (living in Scotland alone I was in North West) had a heart attack so I went to stay with him to look after him recovering when he came out of hospital,he needed surgery so I was away longer than expected&I could no longer afford to study. The gaps in teaching from absence meant I was failing so I regretfully withdrew from the course before the term 2 finished but looking at my account tuition was paid for the full year despite leaving in Jan. I think I applied to the hardship fund so I didn't receive an overpayment but I went back on benefits as a single parent once funding ran out&worked part time so was up to date tax wise with hmrc. I have spent the last 19 years working part time as my 2nd child(born 2007)is disabled and I was her ft carer. She now attends fe college pt&my oldest HE Uni ft so although I have gcses and Alevels and worked as a manager prior to having children I'm now struggling to find work with a decent salary and want to finish my education.Either studying a Bsc(hons) in Psychology or Mental health nursing. My 1st loan was due to be written off in 2019,Ive not had any correspondence for years from Honours who bought the loan and can't find records so hope so. I still owe £3500 from 2005 1st year loan but have deferred or not earnt over the threshold since.As I only had 1 full year of loan funding 19 yrs ago&its now 30 yrs since I failed, resat then withdrew I don't have a Hnd or Foundation degree qualification&am wondering if itll still be possible to receive funding for another 3 year course? Without full tuition and maintenance loans I would be unable to afford it. Obviously studying this degree if I'm accepted would enable me to earn a graduate salary which would mean I could pay it all back rather than my income never reaching over the threshold and existing loan being written off in 10 years receiving nothing at all back but I'm not sure it works that logically
Please can you advise, tia 😊
Original post by Jussylou1
Hi, I'm 49&a single parent carer to my 17yo disabled daughter. My oldest(20) is at Uni in 1st year. I'm currently unemployed, claim uc&have limited capability for work due to past mental health issues and caring responsibilities.I studied the 1st year of a Hnd in 1994-95.I was failing the course due to the passing of my bf in December 94.I was advised to resit my 1st year. Back then tuition was paid for and I received a grant based on my Mums low income as she was also a single parent. I started the 1st year again & had a maintenance loan of £1200.95-96 from slc, a few months in I suffered a miscarriage and withdrew from the course.I never really earned above the threshold to pay back until 2000&believe I paid instalments a few years b4 I got pregnant&was made redundant the same day I found out. I deferred my loan til 2003 when my daughter was born&continued to defer on mat leave. In 2005 I went back to a different Uni doing a different course entirely, 1st year was a foundation degree leading onto the 2nd Yr of a BA(hons) I applied as a single parent as by then her Father had left but by Jan 2006 he suffered a nervous breakdown and was sectioned so I was struggling to study with no child maintenance and helping him out as my child's Father with visits.Around the same time my Dad (living in Scotland alone I was in North West) had a heart attack so I went to stay with him to look after him recovering when he came out of hospital,he needed surgery so I was away longer than expected&I could no longer afford to study. The gaps in teaching from absence meant I was failing so I regretfully withdrew from the course before the term 2 finished but looking at my account tuition was paid for the full year despite leaving in Jan. I think I applied to the hardship fund so I didn't receive an overpayment but I went back on benefits as a single parent once funding ran out&worked part time so was up to date tax wise with hmrc. I have spent the last 19 years working part time as my 2nd child(born 2007)is disabled and I was her ft carer. She now attends fe college pt&my oldest HE Uni ft so although I have gcses and Alevels and worked as a manager prior to having children I'm now struggling to find work with a decent salary and want to finish my education.Either studying a Bsc(hons) in Psychology or Mental health nursing. My 1st loan was due to be written off in 2019,Ive not had any correspondence for years from Honours who bought the loan and can't find records so hope so. I still owe £3500 from 2005 1st year loan but have deferred or not earnt over the threshold since.As I only had 1 full year of loan funding 19 yrs ago&its now 30 yrs since I failed, resat then withdrew I don't have a Hnd or Foundation degree qualification&am wondering if itll still be possible to receive funding for another 3 year course? Without full tuition and maintenance loans I would be unable to afford it. Obviously studying this degree if I'm accepted would enable me to earn a graduate salary which would mean I could pay it all back rather than my income never reaching over the threshold and existing loan being written off in 10 years receiving nothing at all back but I'm not sure it works that logically
Please can you advise, tia 😊
Hi there,

There are some courses that are exceptions: most Nursing courses are, which means you'd be entitled to funding regardless of your previous study.

For Psychology, it's no an exception, so your previous study will count. How many years of previous study do you have in total?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Hi Graeme,
Thanks for the reply, I studied two terms in 1994 of a HND with no loan just a grant then didn't complete the final term&renewed my application to resit the year. I then withdrew completely 1995 without completing attendance for semester 1 when I was bereaved.
2005 started foundation degree at new Uni in new subject but withdrew after 5/6 months due to my Dad's illness. The course I'm considering is 3 years at Edge Hill but would prefer Psychology to Nursing but if I can't get funding for psych I'd do nursing&mental health instead. My 1st loan is 30 yrs old. 2nd is 19 yrs old Tia
Hi there. Student Finance uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:

New course length + Additional Year Previous study years

We do not take any part time previous study into account for full time course, and vice versa.

Even if you did not attend a full year, it's still classed as 1 year of funding.

So, in total, you have had two years of previous study?

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 4
Hi, technically yes but 1st time wS 1994 and free tuition and only a grant not loan, 2nd time 2005-6 was 4 months, withdrew both times for medical and mh reasons, now diagnosed adhd&lone parent of disabled youngest daughter so would they take these things into consideration? Also my oldest is receiving full finance as I'm currently recovering from surgery on benefits, if I apply would my funding interfere with her award?
Thanks. We would still take these years into account.

Nursing courses are usually exceptions, and therefore you would receive funding regardless or previous study.

For the psychology, this is only an exception course if studied part time. If you choose to study this full time, you would have to self fund the first year, unless you can provide evidence for your extenuating circumstances at the time.

If you could not complete your course year due to personal reason, you may be able to receive an additional year of funding if you provide evidence of this. This evidence can be uploaded on your online account. The evidence depends on your personal circumstances.

For example, we can accept photocopies of the following;

-Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
-Letter from University on headed paper
-Letter from Social Services on headed paper
-Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
-Death Certificate and/or a Birth Certificate

The evidence must be;
- Signed and dated
-Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

You will also need to upload this with a letter from yourself explaining what has happened, in your own words.

If you applied for funding this would not affect your daughters application.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 6
Hi, thanks for the info. I've moved house and area since then including GP, I'm not in touch with the Universities and was not in a good place mentally either time so I'm unsure if I've got records or they have of why I left. My friend passed in 1996 but his Mum has since passed on. Also I could probably get some kind of letter from my GP but since the Father of my children was sectioned he went on to assault me in our home after we seperate and we are estranged. There is a record of assault with the Police and I may be able to get confirmation of my Dad's surgery via his old consultant but with going back so long it would be difficult.As I have adhd I need to get my ducks in a row as far as funding as I'm applying to do a fast track access course at Edge Hill this Summer to enter onto the full degree programme If I pass. I am interested in Psychology, Mental health, maybe looking to become a practitioner helping children. I've also nursed my daughter through various spinal surgeries and a chronic condition 9 years so am looking into Nursing but my main concern is placements on public transport as I can't drive. Can you tell me if Bsc Hons in Child&Adolescent Mh&wellbeing would be covered under exemption. The faculty is Health, Social care&medicine but I'm not sure if it's only straight Nursing that would be considered. Ucas code is BB76. Would you advise speaking to Student services at the University direct or Slc or Sfe to find out funding options for quite a few courses id consider?
Tia for ur time 😊
Unfortunately, the BB76 at Edge Hill is not classed and and exception course and would be subject to the previous study rules.

Yes, you can speak with student services and they may be able to offer advice in regard to this, but we can check the courses if you have any more examples. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending