The Student Room Group

What is GCSE and its comparison with Indian class 10 board

Hi, im looking in to studying abroad as in UK specifically after I finish my class 10 boards. I am very confused right now as to how the UK education system works. Can you please help me clear out a few things?
1) What is A levels and GCSE?
2) How does one compare them on the basis of class 10 board exam (CBSE)?
3) What are the available subjects?
4)FE Collages or 6th form schools-what are they?
5)Is it necessary for me to get a UK NARIC approved comparison before applying?
6) I will get my class 10 result in May 2019. I want to join the required institution in September 2019. When do I apply? before or after I get my results?
7)Apart from my mark sheet, will I require to fulfil any other requirements like IELTS or UKVIELTS? If so, which ones?
Thank You!
Reply 1
Original post by chitrashah
Hi, im looking in to studying abroad as in UK specifically after I finish my class 10 boards. I am very confused right now as to how the UK education system works. Can you please help me clear out a few things?
1) What is A levels and GCSE?
2) How does one compare them on the basis of class 10 board exam (CBSE)?
3) What are the available subjects?
4)FE Collages or 6th form schools-what are they?
5)Is it necessary for me to get a UK NARIC approved comparison before applying?
6) I will get my class 10 result in May 2019. I want to join the required institution in September 2019. When do I apply? before or after I get my results?
7)Apart from my mark sheet, will I require to fulfil any other requirements like IELTS or UKVIELTS? If so, which ones?
Thank You!

1) A Levels are taken when you're usually between 16-18 years old with exams when you're 18, just before going to uni. GCSEs are taken when you're 14-16 years old with exams when you're 16.
2) CBSE is probably equivalent to GCSEs
3) You can take a large variety of subjects, but it all depends on what schools offer
4) FE Colleges are places where you can take qualifications that aren't A Levels, like BTECs after you've done GCSEs. 6th forms are schools where you can take primarily A Levels.
5) Probably not, but it all depends on the school, you have to contact the school
6) You have to apply before you get your results and then they may give you a conditional offer, conditional on you getting certain grades
7) Probably not, although you may need IELTS if you want to apply to British universities after A Levels. Again contact the schools you want to apply for.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying. Can you also please tell me if the fee that I have been seeing online for UK boarding schools particularly in Oxford, include tuition and accommodation or not? like for exampleScreen Shot 2018-08-10 at 5.05.58 AM.png. It does not mention anywhere the fee for accommodation so am I supposed to automatically assume that it is included? Also like I told you earlier, ill be sixteen this year. I will be completing my class 10 board exams next year in march. So if I want to apply for schools for the next academic year in September 2019, I will be applying for A levels right and not GCSE? Also can you maybe also tell me what sort of courses and subjects will a levels provide and will I be able to cope up with it after finish up with my Indian curriculum?
Reply 3
hey would you please share some information regarding what you had to undergo , im facing the same situation.....
I really need some help

Quick Reply

Latest