The Student Room Group

academic weapon core

hii i'm brends

I'm currently trying to survive year 11 and hopefully get all 9s and not procrastinate until the night before so I'm making this blog to get me through all that. Now here's some information quick to find information about myself and my gcses -

some info about me:

I want to be an aerospace engineer

I play the flute and love it <3

Absolutely delusional I think I can get straight 9's

serial procrastinator

currently a sufferer of:

English Lit & Lang (AQA)

Biology, Chemistry & Physics (AQA)

Classics (OCR)

Maths (Edxcel)

Further Maths (AQA) (used to be art so I can't complain)

Spanish (AQA)

year 10 mock grades:

biology - 8
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 5
english lit - 8
further maths - ~6 (no exam taken teacher prediction)
maths - 9
physics - 8
spanish - 9

I was really proud of these they are the highest grades I have ever gotten tears were shed in the middle of form and I pray and hope they carry over but higher for my gcses and mocks in January

my year 11 mock predictions:

biology - 9
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 8
english lit - 7
further maths - 7
maths - 9
physics - 9
spanish - 8

that is currently what me and my teachers think I will achieve in my mocks in a few months and I'm hoping to exceed them but only time will tell.

anyways to future me and anyone else out there who needs its good luck and you can do it <3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ahh classics! I get so excited when I see that people do it (and a bit jealous you got to do it as a GCSE) Hope you get the grades you want!!
Aerospace engineering sounds fascinating! It sounds like you're super focused this year - hopefully your GYG blog will help you keep motivated! :biggrin:
Reply 3
its such a good subject honestly but I'm doing mycaenean buildings until December :bawling:
Original post by waffelton
Ahh classics! I get so excited when I see that people do it (and a bit jealous you got to do it as a GCSE) Hope you get the grades you want!!
Reply 4
Friday update:

I did two tests this week: physics and spanish, and I did pretty good on both

found out I have 10 lessons until my poetry exam and almost sobbed (we haven't even finished the anthology)

developed a hatred for the words "cyclopean walls"

that's my week summed up not very eventful and not very successful but I hope the next week is better
Original post by andoreux
its such a good subject honestly but I'm doing mycaenean buildings until December :bawling:

I had to Google what this was and now I really wanna live in one!

Friday update:

I did two tests this week: physics and spanish, and I did pretty good on both

found out I have 10 lessons until my poetry exam and almost sobbed (we haven't even finished the anthology)

developed a hatred for the words "cyclopean walls"

that's my week summed up not very eventful and not very successful but I hope the next week is better

Well done on your tests! What's on the agenda for this week?
Reply 6
Original post by Pwca

Well done on your tests! What's on the agenda for this week?

Trying not to fall behind on homework and Spanish revision, its starting now rather than in Feb. Probably gonna be trying to the entirety of a summer homework which was about 5 pages long with 100 questions by Friday 3PM, by Wednesday so I can live a peaceful life :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Pwca

They're really nice, but I wouldn't like to build one.
Reply 8
Just found this ooo~ I wish you all the best this year!!! :h: Posting to follow hehe
Trying not to fall behind on homework and Spanish revision, its starting now rather than in Feb. Probably gonna be trying to the entirety of a summer homework which was about 5 pages long with 100 questions by Friday 3PM, by Wednesday so I can live a peaceful life :smile:.

Always good to get ahead of the game where possible! Good luck!

They're really nice, but I wouldn't like to build one.

Oh yeah, I would absolutely need someone to build it for me. If I did it I have a feeling it wouldn't end up looking much like the pictures... :biggrin:
Reply 10
friday update

my Spanish homework magically got an extension praise the lord, but now my plans for the rest of the week is to do practice papers for English lit and further maths.

Also, I got my physics test back, 21/27 really proud of the score but I could've done a lot better just so many silly mistakes. that's my week summed up see you all some other time next week
friday update

my Spanish homework magically got an extension praise the lord, but now my plans for the rest of the week is to do practice papers for English lit and further maths.

Also, I got my physics test back, 21/27 really proud of the score but I could've done a lot better just so many silly mistakes. that's my week summed up see you all some other time next week

we love a cheeky lil extension on hw... I am so behind as well... It's like 3 weeks in...
Reply 12
hii i'm brends

I'm currently trying to survive year 11 and hopefully get all 9s and not procrastinate until the night before so I'm making this blog to get me through all that. Now here's some information quick to find information about myself and my gcses -

some info about me:

serial procrastinator

currently a sufferer of:

English Lit & Lang (AQA)

Classics (OCR)

Maths (Edxcel)

Spanish (AQA)

year 10 mock grades:

biology - 8
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 5
english lit - 8
maths - 9
physics - 8
spanish - 9

I was really proud of these they are the highest grades I have ever gotten tears were shed in the middle of form and I pray and hope they carry over but higher for my gcses and mocks in January

biology - 9
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 8
english lit - 7
further maths - 7
maths - 9
physics - 9
spanish - 8

that is currently what me and my teachers think I will achieve in my mocks in a few months and I'm hoping to exceed them but only time will tell.

anyways to future me and anyone else out there who needs its good luck and you can do it <3

Wow I never seen someone who has gotten this similar of results to me lol 😂.

Instead of classics I do History and I'm predicted a grade 9 but got a very high 8 in mocks.

Other than that we've got the same year 11 predictions basically besides spanish (9) , english lit(8) and fm (dont have a grade yet)!

Anyways good luck and lets hope we both get all 9s!
Reply 13
I have officially decided to start the Spanish Exam revision now, because I just found out how intensive it is off of a year 12, and with the extremely high grade boundaries I don't want to fumble.

I have also caused a library printer to over heat by printing the entirety of them paper 1 revision(20 mins I was there for).

Also, my English poetry exam is soon and I´ve FINALLY finished the anthology, so now its up to memorising it because the head of English wants to torture us my class is the only finished class every other class is finishing on Friday, the exam is Wednesday next week they get 2 lessons, so outrage is happening.

Finally, I asked the school for help in FM because I had reached the limit of what I could do by myself, I taught myself a good chunk of it though, so now I've got a year 13 tutor and a maths teacher, and I've got to ask about a mock for for it too so I can have predicted for it.

That's my randomly weekly update for this week. 💋
Reply 14
hii i'm brends

some info about me:

serial procrastinator

currently a sufferer of:

English Lit & Lang (AQA)

Classics (OCR)

Maths (Edxcel)

Spanish (AQA)

year 10 mock grades:

biology - 8
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 5
english lit - 8
maths - 9
physics - 8
spanish - 9

biology - 9
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 8
english lit - 7
further maths - 7
maths - 9
physics - 9
spanish - 8

Good luck with everything !!

As long as you have the hunger and discipline to stick with it, even at the low points, you will succeed.

I myself am a gap year student, who had the a-levels and GCSE's required to apply to aerospace, so I'm hoping to do so this year :smile:
Reply 15
his everyone, I'm not missing thank god, but I was dealing with about 8 tests and one mini-mock so its been hectic at the least. I have my Spanish speaking mini mock tomorrow and I'm not excited or wanting to do it because I will live in stress the whole day as its at 2:10pm and I have barely revised I have no set answers I'm just gonna wing it and hope my Spanish actually pulls through because I don't have that effort anymore.

these past 7 weeks of the new school year have really took a toll on me as its my final and my school are making it very known to me so im already burning out god bless if I last until mocks but other than that I'm alright and for the first time in almost 4 years I have been in school everyday which is very rare but at the rate all my lessons are going I can't miss a single one

final note before I finish I picked my a-levels options which I'm yet to finalise so if you do any of these a-levels please tell me the pros and cons cause I'm actually stuck between a few my required options: maths, further maths, and physics are my options I'm picking no matter what, and my unsure ones are chem and Spanish so if you take any of the courses please give some advice on what course because to go uni I've already got three strong levels for an engineering degree I think. if anyone else wants to add please do its much appreciated.

I hope everyone has a good week and (for practice for Spanish) si tiene examenes buena suerte :smile:.
his everyone, I'm not missing thank god, but I was dealing with about 8 tests and one mini-mock so its been hectic at the least. I have my Spanish speaking mini mock tomorrow and I'm not excited or wanting to do it because I will live in stress the whole day as its at 2:10pm and I have barely revised I have no set answers I'm just gonna wing it and hope my Spanish actually pulls through because I don't have that effort anymore.

these past 7 weeks of the new school year have really took a toll on me as its my final and my school are making it very known to me so im already burning out god bless if I last until mocks but other than that I'm alright and for the first time in almost 4 years I have been in school everyday which is very rare but at the rate all my lessons are going I can't miss a single one

final note before I finish I picked my a-levels options which I'm yet to finalise so if you do any of these a-levels please tell me the pros and cons cause I'm actually stuck between a few my required options: maths, further maths, and physics are my options I'm picking no matter what, and my unsure ones are chem and Spanish so if you take any of the courses please give some advice on what course because to go uni I've already got three strong levels for an engineering degree I think. if anyone else wants to add please do its much appreciated.

I hope everyone has a good week and (for practice for Spanish) si tiene examenes buena suerte :smile:.

Sounds like things got a bit intense for you! Make sure you're taking some down time as well - you need to last at least until your mocks! :biggrin:

How did your Spanish mini mock go?
hii i'm brends

some info about me:

serial procrastinator

currently a sufferer of:

English Lit & Lang (AQA)

Classics (OCR)

Maths (Edxcel)

Spanish (AQA)

year 10 mock grades:

biology - 8
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 5
english lit - 8
maths - 9
physics - 8
spanish - 9

biology - 9
chemistry - 9
classics - 9
english lang - 8
english lit - 7
further maths - 7
maths - 9
physics - 9
spanish - 8

Your English prediction seems high given your grades now.

Why not dump level 2 FMaths - it really isn;t worth taking [I teach Maths]

hi! I think it's mocks week for a lot of ppl rn so hope those are going well for you! I'm burning out too atm so you're not the only one. Good luck with your mocks :smile:
Hi guys! A level Biology student here! I achieved 9s across all my science GCSEs, despite being predicted a 4. The biggest piece of advice I have is to FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH EXAM QUESTIONS. The best way to do this is by completing the Physics and Maths tutor questions for each topic and the past papers for your exam board.

To learn the content:

Work through the videos and questions on Cognito, this is great for building your understanding, as well as actively recalling the information.

Watch the FreeScienceLessons videos. He should cover most of the content for all exam boards.

FreeScienceLessons link -> https://www.youtube.com/@Freesciencelessons

Invest in a whiteboard and pen, but paper will also work. Read through the specification points for your exam board, and write down on your whiteboard everything you can remember for the point (e.g, specific biological processes). This is active recall and is essential for building your long term memory.

Most importantly DO NOT STRESS! GCSEs are a very small part of your life, and in order to achieve the grades you want you must maintain a healthy balance! Make sure to reach out if you are struggling!

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me or reply to this if you have any questions! ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending