The Student Room Group

What advanced highers for Dundee Dental School

Hello!
I am going to apply for dentistry (2019 entry) at Dundee university and am thinking or studying advanced higher chemistry and biology. Will this be sufficient or will I need a third to be considered?
Original post by Alishaali
Hello!
I am going to apply for dentistry (2019 entry) at Dundee university and am thinking or studying advanced higher chemistry and biology. Will this be sufficient or will I need a third to be considered?

According to their website, you'll need a third. (Edit: I can't read...another higher would be fine)
Source: "AAAAB (minimum) at the same sitting of Highers, to include Chemistry and another science (from biology, physics or mathematics, and biology is recommended). The other three Highers can be your own choice, and this choice of subject will not influence the assessment.
We also require biology at least to grade A at National 5 and English and mathematics at least to Grade B at National 5, if not studied at Higher. Achievement at National 5 or equivalent will also be taken into account. Offers will be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers/Highers taken in 6th year, normally at BBB grades"
https://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/dentistry/
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Alishaali
Hello!

Advanced higher biology and chemistry is definitely enough to be considered. I start at Dundee dental school in September and that’s what I got in with. They actually really like it when students do a third subject in something that they may find “easier” or something they enjoy as a hobby like PE, Music or Art for example. You can pick a third advanced higher but if you’ve met the grades in S5, have a good UKCAT score and are predicted to meet the grades in S6, doing an extra adv higher in maths while doing adv bio and chem will give you no competitive edge over anyone that is only doing two adv highers in biology and chemistry and for example higher art. My advice would be to do advanced higher biology and chemistry and crash a higher that you feel you can get an A in without many problems, picking advanced higher maths or physics or something like that as a third subject will only add on unecessary stress. Just make sure you meet your academic requirements and dominate your UKCAT and interview and you should be set, good luck!😊

Quick Reply

Latest