The Student Room Group

HELP - advice on my dentistry application!!

hellooo if anyone with relevant experience would care to offer some opinions/advice, I’m feeling very anxious about my dentistry app - the higher education dept at my college isn’t the best and idk if it’s good enough lolll!!! here are my stats

- predicted 4x A*’s in bio, chem, english lit, history (although I think my teachers are being a bit optimistic hahaha)
- 50 hours shadowing at a dental surgery
- founded medsoc in secondary school (ran events etc.)
- fundraised >£2k for environmental conservation
- a couple online work experience course things here and there
- UCAT is taking some work but practice exams usually band 1

anything would be helpful!!! hoping to apply to
- bristol
- king’s
- newcastle
- dundee (or glasgow, haven’t decided)

(edit: GCSEs all 8x grade 9, 2x grade 8 if that’s at all relevant)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by exdimensions
hellooo if anyone with relevant experience would care to offer some opinions/advice, I’m feeling very anxious about my dentistry app - the higher education dept at my college isn’t the best and idk if it’s good enough lolll!!! here are my stats

- predicted 4x A*’s in bio, chem, english lit, history (although I think my teachers are being a bit optimistic hahaha)

- bristol
- king’s
- newcastle

heyy I'm not a dental student (yet - hoping to be - going into yr 12 next year) so although I can't give you any advice from experience, I'd want to reassure you that all your stats look amazing! You seem to tick every box and more, so try not to stress too much, have faith in yourself because I'm sure you will get in - good luck!
Reply 2
hello! i applied to dentistry this year and ur application sounds amazing. for most unis it comes down to ur ucat score so just try get above 2800 and at least a band 2 and u should get offered an interview- make sure to look at the weightings of the different aspects of ur application on the uni websites. out of the 4 u applied to, i applied to kings and ik they consider ur gcses when choosing who to interview and ur gcses look great! in terms of the stuff u can include in ur ps, that all looks great too. just focus on ur ucat for now and remember to have some reflection on all ur work ex
Original post by exdimensions

- bristol
- king’s
- newcastle

Hi @exdimensions,

Thank you for your interest in our Dental Surgery BDS programme.

The standard entry requirements for this programme for 2024 entry are AAA at A Level including Chemistry and Biology. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels, we require a pass in the practical element. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted. GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent) required at grade 4/C or above.

Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process.

All applicants must have taken the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) in the same year they apply through UCAS. The UCAT threshold may differ in each year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who have applied in the current application cycle. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available. Detailed information can be found in the Dental School Admissions Policy 2023.

Candidates who meet or are predicted to meet our academic requirements and minimum UCAT threshold will be invited to interview. Further information on the Admissions Process can be found in section 10 of the Dental Admissions Policy.

We recommend that applicants gain a minimum of ten days relevant work experience prior to applying, although we appreciate that sourcing dental work experience is still a challenge due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Where applicants have been unable to secure dental work experience, we would advise evidencing experience of teamwork and leadership, personal achievements, paid or voluntary work and/or mentoring activities. We strongly suggest that applicants with little dental work experience make it clear in their application how they have gained insight into a career in dentistry.

Applications to the University's undergraduate degree programmes must be submitted through the UCAS system, and you can apply online here. If you have any queries about the UCAS Apply system, please contact UCAS on 0371 468 0468.

The UCAS application deadline for Dental Surgery 2024 entry is 18:00 on Monday 16 October 2023.

I hope this information helps :smile:

Hana

Quick Reply

Latest