The Student Room Group

Dentistry Backups?

I am hoping to study dentistry but as there are only two universities offering dentistry courses in Scotland, I need advice on what else to apply for. I am thinking about pharmacy and pharmacology, but will applying for three different course types be a bad idea?
Original post by sadejezebel
I am hoping to study dentistry but as there are only two universities offering dentistry courses in Scotland, I need advice on what else to apply for. I am thinking about pharmacy and pharmacology, but will applying for three different course types be a bad idea?

there are other dental schools within the UK so perhaps you could apply there?
maybe its better to choose from pharmacy or pharmacology as in that way you are only applying to 2 different courses

Heya I think this really depends on how your grades are at. Is the reason you're only planning to apply to scotland because of financial reasons or because of your predicted grades? Otherwise it'd be good to apply to other bits of the UK as well. I think applying for 3 different course types isn't that good of a thing, but if you really wanted to do Scotland only then I would go with dentistry at Glasgow and Dundee, followed by a biomed OR pharmacy course at both unis, and the last choice being maybe something like biochem at St. Andrews. You don't really want to be applying to 3 different departments in the same university
Reply 3
Original post by KindaSmartish
Heya I think this really depends on how your grades are at. Is the reason you're only planning to apply to scotland because of financial reasons or because of your predicted grades? Otherwise it'd be good to apply to other bits of the UK as well. I think applying for 3 different course types isn't that good of a thing, but if you really wanted to do Scotland only then I would go with dentistry at Glasgow and Dundee, followed by a biomed OR pharmacy course at both unis, and the last choice being maybe something like biochem at St. Andrews. You don't really want to be applying to 3 different departments in the same university

Thanks for the advice! Yeah i’m only applying for scottish unis for financial reasons but I might look into some outside of scotland. In terms of grades I got 5 A’s in prelims so hopefully I’ll be good for higher grades. As for which universities to apply for biomed or pharmacology, is it okay to apply to universities other than glasgow and dundee or do I need to stick with both (+one other)?
Thanks for the advice! Yeah i’m only applying for scottish unis for financial reasons but I might look into some outside of scotland. In terms of grades I got 5 A’s in prelims so hopefully I’ll be good for higher grades. As for which universities to apply for biomed or pharmacology, is it okay to apply to universities other than glasgow and dundee or do I need to stick with both (+one other)?

No worries :biggrin: I would say something along the lines of (personally) -
1. Glasgow Dentistry
2. Dundee Dentistry
3. Glasgow Biochem/Biomed (not sure if they offer them but something similar)
4. Dundee Biochem/Biomed
5. St. Andrews Biochem or Edinburgh Biochem

It is OK to stick with just these universities as a whole, but I think in the off chance that you don't get offers (which won't happen because you're gonna work hard), a biochem degree from Edinburgh or St. Andrews is more valuable than one from Glasgow or Dundee so I'd say apply to at least 1 other scottish school. Also I'd say in general having a biochem degree / chem degree is much more useful than a biomed degree (if you're looking at future job prospects)

I've been told in the past that applying to the same school "makes it look like you really like them", but I don't think that's true at all, and each faculty just looks at your profile individually. Hope this helps!

*Edit - I think I tend to look at things in a more pragmatic and sort of more competitive way so I could be wrong, in the end it really is up to where you'd like to go :biggrin:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest