The Student Room Group

From east London to the City: How door knocking changed this boy's life

Reggie Nelson from East London was fed up with the world around him after his dad died. After an inspirational chat, Reggie decided to go to Kensington and Chelsea to knock on peoples door to ask them what skills and qualities they had that enabled them to work in a such a wealthy area. At one door, Elizabeth Price welcomed him in where he met Quitin Price, who was the Head of Alpha strategy at BlackRock.

Quitin offer Reggie an internship and mentored him through uni. Quitin now works in the City and says that if you want to see different results, you have to come out of your comfort zone.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Was this a good approach? Would you try something out of your comfort zone?
When we have have random lads knock on our door, they are normally ex-cons trying to sell us shammy leathers. They generally respond to being told that I'm not interested by kicking the roses and calling me a "****ing ****". I can't understand why they haven't been as successful as this lad.
Reply 2
Original post by Danny Dorito
Reggie decided to go to Kensington and Chelsea to knock on peoples door to ask them what skills and qualities they had that enabled them to work in a such a wealthy area.

I'm glad that didn't end badly.

It doesn't sound like a bad idea, asking people what skills they had that led them to being successful, but no way would I knock on doors to ask that. Evidently I just don't want success as badly as he did..
Absolutely amazed he wasn't arrested.
Original post by Danny Dorito
Reggie Nelson from East London was fed up with the world around him after his dad died. After an inspirational chat, Reggie decided to go to Kensington and Chelsea to knock on peoples door to ask them what skills and qualities they had that enabled them to work in a such a wealthy area. At one door, Elizabeth Price welcomed him in where he met Quitin Price, who was the Head of Alpha strategy at BlackRock.

Quitin offer Reggie an internship and mentored him through uni. Quitin now works in the City and says that if you want to see different results, you have to come out of your comfort zone.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Was this a good approach? Would you try something out of your comfort zone?

He was fortunate that it ended well. In America, he could have been shot.

The idea was really good and it showed that some people cared about it. The sad bit was knocking on so many doors until a kind lady decided to give him a chance. The alternative would have been worse with drugs or gang culture consuming many youth today.
Reply 5
Original post by mojojojo101
Absolutely amazed he wasn't arrested.

...For knocking on people's doors? Not sure how he could be arrested by any police officer for that.
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
In America, he could have been shot.

Again, seriously? For knocking on people's doors and asking them for advice? In 2018? Shot dead in broad daylight? Give me a break.
Thing is, opportunities like that are literally 1 in a million so it's not like us will have a good chance at getting a job by knocking on doors
Original post by mongodb
...For knocking on people's doors? Not sure how he could be arrested by any police officer for that.

Original post by mongodb
Again, seriously? For knocking on people's doors and asking them for advice? In 2018? Shot dead in broad daylight? Give me a break.

You are either not following news reports or you are just plain ignorant. Black men (and women) are getting killed like guineas, like it is open season.
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800
You are either not following news reports or you are just plain ignorant. Black men (and women) are getting killed like guineas, like it is open season.

Oh yeah I'll bet. Lynch mobs killing blacks by the thousands. What a load of horse crap.
Original post by mongodb
Oh yeah I'll bet. Lynch mobs killing blacks by the thousands. What a load of horse crap.

Ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending