The Student Room Group

Applying to Durham, Manchester, and York

My question is: I am not entirely sure where the universities of Durham and York are located. Like for example, which town/City? County?, region? Etc are they in and how far are they from South London? I am an international student and so I am not too aware of the many towns and cities in the UK. I have family in South London at the moment so that’s where I will be commuting from to one of these universities. Could someone help me out? Also are the respective areas of these universities good or bad? I have been to Manchester before but never to Durham or York (if there are even towns with those names?). So what are they like? Thanks
Original post by Bo77 Tman
My question is: I am not entirely sure where the universities of Durham and York are located. Like for example, which town/City? County?, region? Etc are they in and how far are they from South London? I am an international student and so I am not too aware of the many towns and cities in the UK. I have family in South London at the moment so that’s where I will be commuting from to one of these universities. Could someone help me out? Also are the respective areas of these universities good or bad? I have been to Manchester before but never to Durham or York (if there are even towns with those names?). So what are they like? Thanks

You will find both of them easily on Google maps. Ditto the distance from south London.

Neither of them are commutable from London. Durham is around 3.5 hours from central London by train and York around 2.5 hours. Both beautiful historic cities but you will need to get accommodation. As above - have a look on google maps.
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Neither of them are commutable from London. Durham is around 3.5 hours from central London by train and York around 2.5 hours. Both beautiful historic cities but you will need to get accommodation. As above - have a look on google maps.
Oh sorry I meant commuting at the end of the terms. Would train be the best way to travel home at the end of the term? I’ve heard that trains in the UK are a disgrace by some people.
Oh sorry I meant commuting at the end of the terms. Would train be the best way to travel home at the end of the term? I’ve heard that trains in the UK are a disgrace by some people.

Both York and Durham are on the east coast mainline so it is one of the fast services to London. Coach travel would be cheaper but takes a lot longer. If you are organised and book your train tickets 12 weeks in advance, you will get cheaper tickets. Also, purchase an 18-25 railcard when you start uni as it will give you a third off.
Durham in particular and York to a slightly lesser degree are very small cities in the North East of England. Both are very famous for their cathedrals.

Both are beautiful cities but wont offer the kind of nightlife you would get from places like Manchester. Both have direct trains from Manchester. Durham is about 2 hours away and York about 1 and 1/2 hours. London would be 3 hours to Durham and 2 hours to York on fastest trains.

It depends on what kind of environment you want to study at. Durham is so small you can walk anywhere and I suspect that might be similar. They wont have the same level of crime as bigger cities. Being up North the weather will be a degree or 2 colder than in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending