The Student Room Group

Feminist professor #MeToo'd by former student

This isn't about her being female or a feminist. Of course females and feminists are as capable of sexual harassment as anyone, so lets not have some circlejerk against feminism.

What is interesting/disturbing in this case, and particularly relevant to us as students, is the reaction of her colleagues. Here is an extract from their open letter:

Professors' Open Letter
We have all seen her relationship with students, and some of us know the individual who has waged this malicious campaign against her. We wish to communicate first in the clearest terms our profound an enduring admiration for Professor Ronell whose mentorship of students has been no less than remarkable over many years. We deplore the damage that this legal proceeding causes her, and seek to register in clear terms our objection to any judgment against her. We hold that the allegations against her do not constitute actual evidence, but rather support the view that malicious intention has animated and sustained this legal nightmare.

Sounds like it is another level on from victim blaming - actually accusing the victim of maliciously maligning the perpetrator.

Further on in the letter, they seem to imply that she is too 'witty' and reputable to be guilty of sexual harassment.

And then there is this hypocrite:

NYTimes
Diane Davis, chair of the department of rhetoric at the University of Texas-Austin, who also signed the letter to the university supporting Professor Ronell, said she and her colleagues were particularly disturbed that, as they saw it, Mr. Reitman was using Title IX, a feminist tool, to take down a feminist.

"I am of course very supportive of what Title IX and the #MeToo movement are trying to do, of their efforts to confront and to prevent abuses, for which they also seek some sort of justice,” Professor Davis wrote in an email. “But it’s for that very reason that it’s so disappointing when this incredible energy for justice is twisted and turned against itself, which is what many of us believe is happening in this case.”

Again, of course she isn't representative of feminism itself - these victim blaming professors are in the minority, and I'm sure many of the Title IX investigators who found her guilty were feminists - but it does show a disturbing streak of sexual harassment culture in academia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/nyregion/sexual-harassment-nyu-female-professor.html
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AngeryPenguin

Sounds like it is another level on from victim blaming - actually accusing the victim of maliciously maligning the perpetrator.

You appear to ascribe blame to those that defend the accused professor. Now, you and I know nothing of the true facts but it does not seem unreasonable to suppose that these insiders do, and that they would not accuse the accuser of making a malicious and inaccurate accusation unless they had some knowledge that would lend them to think they are on strong ground.

I'd keep quiet if I were you. Sometimes the 'victim' is not a victim, and is blame-worthy.
Reply 2
if this is ''victim blaming' it is a very mild form of it; in fact i had to read the above quote three times in order to see it from that perspective. real victim blaming would have been - why did he go to Paris with her? why did he sleep in the same bed as her?

when a professor invites a student to Paris and then read poetry to her in her hotel bedroom, what did he think was seriously going to happen?

moreover, this happened 6 years ago - why didn't he report it sooner?

did i get victim blaming right? :smile:

i understand when it's your friend and colleague and you're in a prestigious school such as NYU, you're in a tough position on how to respond. i think they could've done a lot worse.

on a side note, yes of course feminists can be guilty of sexual harassment, just like christian pastors and family-man/American hero Bill Cosby. sexual predators come under all sorts of guises. but just because you call yourself something - feminist, christian or family-man - doesn't mean you are one.
Original post by Joleee
if this is ''victim blaming' it is a very mild form of it; in fact i had to read the above quote three times in order to see it from that perspective. real victim blaming would have been - why did he go to Paris with her? why did he sleep in the same bed as her?

when a professor invites a student to Paris and then read poetry to her in her hotel bedroom, what did he think was seriously going to happen?

moreover, this happened 6 years ago - why didn't he report it sooner?

did i get victim blaming right? :smile:

i understand when it's your friend and colleague and you're in a prestigious school such as NYU, you're in a tough position on how to respond. i think they could've done a lot worse.

on a side note, yes of course feminists can be guilty of sexual harassment, just like christian pastors and family-man/American hero Bill Cosby. sexual predators come under all sorts of guises. but just because you call yourself something - feminist, christian or family-man - doesn't mean you are one.

Yup - pretty similar to the "If Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed them, why didn't they come out at the time instead of decades later?". That was pretty rife on TSR iirc.

When someone's in a situation like this, it's really difficult for them to fight back or escape because so much is at stake.

The guy was apparently working under one of the most well-respected people in his field, which means that the probability that he'd eventually find himself in a cozy tenure-track job was very high.

If he'd quit, he would have tossed years of extremely hard work for poor wages down the drain - for a masters at best (but what would that get him? It'd just make him overqualified for the office jobs that take sociology majors). He likely wouldn't be able to start a PhD again with somebody else, because once you quit once you're effectively blacklisted.

If he'd complained at the time, he would also likely been blacklisted, because he'd have had to leave the program, or at the very least, this baggage would be associated with him before his career even began.

He stayed in the situation because leaving would mean forgoing any chance of a decent, meaningful career after losing years of time and wages as a PhD dropout.

When someone's faced with spending a few years working for a predator vs. sacrificing a life dream that can be granted through that person, it's not an easy choice to make.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AngeryPenguin
"If Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed them, why didn't they come out at the time instead of decades later?"

When someone's in a situation like this, it's really difficult for them to fight back or escape because so much is at stake.

The guy was apparently working under one of the most well-respected people in his field, which means that the probability that he'd eventually find himself in a cozy tenure-track job was very high.

If he'd quit, he would have tossed years of extremely hard work for poor wages down the drain - for a masters at best (but what would that get him? It'd just make him overqualified for the office jobs that take sociology majors). He likely wouldn't be able to start a PhD again with somebody else, because once you quit once you're effectively blacklisted.

If he'd complained at the time, he would also likely been blacklisted, because he'd have had to leave the program, or at the very least, this baggage would be associated with him before his career even began.

He stayed in the situation because leaving would mean forgoing any chance of a decent, meaningful career after losing years of time and wages as a PhD dropout.

When someone's faced with spending a few years working for a predator vs. sacrificing a life dream that can be granted through that person, it's not an easy choice to make.

indeed. i hope you realise i was only giving examples of victim blaming. you and me are on the same page.
Reverse the genders. Would you hold the same veiws on the case?
Reply 6
So these feminists are eager to come to the defence of this woman because they believe she is falsely accused? Where are their cries when men are falsely accused by crazy women? Weren't they the ones who popularised that all victims of sexual harassment and assault should be believed, no questions asked? It's funny how they quickly do a complete 180 on their narrative when a man is the victim and the perpetrator is a feminist. A bunch of hypocrites.

One thing I'd like to focus on is this: "We testify to the grace, the keen wit, and the intellectual commitment of Professor Ronell and ask that she be accorded the dignity rightly deserved by someone of her international standing and reputation" which was said in defence of her reputation. This is a classic way of brushing off the allegations because how could she do all of these things when she is so great and so kind and a valuable asset to her field? So, Brock Turner, for example, should have been spared in order to save his reputation because he was an excellent athlete? When it's one of their own they are willing to bend their own rules to fit which is why I hate feminism.

I also like how the feminists assigned labels to them, one is lesbian and the other is gay so in their mind she is innocent? How is this even relevant? A sexual predator is a sexual predator regardless of what's in between their legs and their sexual affinity! I bet if it was a gay professor who sexually harassed a lesbian graduate the story would be completely different.
"Mr. Reitman is gay and is now married to a man; Professor Ronell is a lesbian."

Sorry but this whole thing sounds fishy.
Original post by yudothis
"Mr. Reitman is gay and is now married to a man; Professor Ronell is a lesbian."

Sorry but this whole thing sounds fishy.

Indeed it does - but the fact that they had a sexual relationship isn't disputed even by Professor Ronell, only the question of whether Mr Reitman was pressured into it or not.

IIRC there have been #MeToo's in the past where prominent 'gay' men were found to have sexually harassed women (or at least claimed to be gay after the accusations).
Reply 9
Feminists do the same thing when you mention their idol Lena Dunham ramming rocks up her child sister's vagina.

Ignore what they say and just watch what they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending