The Student Room Group

why are UK professors so anti research students ?

Most university departments and professors aren't even considering research students or interested in replying to any mail or discussion. Applications are pending for judgment even after several months. Compared to this I got several offers from top unis in Germany and US.
It seems most professors and departments want countless students for taught courses. For that they are spamming emails, using agents to recruit, or having application failrs to several countries but not looking for quality students. I am talking about Physics.
Reply 1
Where are you from and what is your current level of education (do you already hold a degree)?

I'm not sure if you really understand the UK university system. Virtually all courses (certainly at undergrad level) will be a taught course with research components. The majority of masters degrees are taught courses with a significant component of independent research. Many (or even most) PhD courses still have formal taught components.

How are you attempting to make contact with these "departments and professors"? Through the normal admin channels or via unsolicited contact having found email addresses online, etc?
Reply 2
Loads of reasons you might get a KB. Do you have relevant degrees in the first place?

Staff might have a bunch of PhD students already. Might have a stringent probationary contract requiring lots of work and we are busy enough already. Sometimes, taking on a research student is just a hassle we can do without. Contractually, I'm not even entitled to take on research students and I've had four requests in the past 3 months.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Apachecow
Where are you from and what is your current level of education (do you already hold a degree)?

I'm not sure if you really understand the UK university system. Virtually all courses (certainly at undergrad level) will be a taught course with research components. The majority of masters degrees are taught courses with a significant component of independent research. Many (or even most) PhD courses still have formal taught components.

How are you attempting to make contact with these "departments and professors"? Through the normal admin channels or via unsolicited contact having found email addresses online, etc?

Well, a PhD is a research degree. My interpretation of OP's post was that he was looking to do a research degree like a PhD, rather than an undergraduate course (which are predominantly taught).

I'd have thought emailing a potential supervisor via their email address found on the university website would be the standard way to make contact? I wouldn't call that unsolicited, it's par for the course in academia surely?
Reply 4
Original post by Apachecow

I have a masters in physics. Research components in taught courses are almost next to none. I was talking about MRes/MPhil or PhD degrees. Yes contacted the departments and professors through admin channels, a formal application. Submitted applications to Durham, UCL two months ago, yet they are still processing the application and professors seem to care less even to process it, I would have even understood if they rejected me. Just for context, I have a masters degree with distinction and good research experience.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Loads of reasons you might get a KB. Do you have relevant degrees in the first place?

Staff might have a bunch of PhD students already. Might have a stringent probationary contract requiring lots of work and we are busy enough already. Sometimes, taking on a research student is just a hassle we can do without. Contractually, I'm not even entitled to take on research students and I've had four requests in the past 3 months.

Seems like that's in mind almost everywhere in the UK. Most professors aren't even looking for students even if they have none. Only some big large collaborative experiments like CERN or astronomy instrumentation are interested in taking students which I don't want anyway. Additionally, departments don't even process the application for more than two months. It's fine if you reject, at least process the applications.
From my experience in admissions I don’t think 8 weeks is especially long for a research application.
Original post by manupal19965
Most university departments and professors aren't even considering research students or interested in replying to any mail or discussion. Applications are pending for judgment even after several months. Compared to this I got several offers from top unis in Germany and US.
It seems most professors and departments want countless students for taught courses. For that they are spamming emails, using agents to recruit, or having application failrs to several countries but not looking for quality students. I am talking about Physics.

In general I think it’s important to understand most professors are busy and unlikely to reply to an email unless it is very clear:
- the applicant has a suitable background
- has performed strongly academically
- demonstrated an understanding of their research
- is clear & concise (and polite)
- they are looking or have room for more PhD students

On top of this professors are busy and may miss single emails (especially unimportant ones, relatively speaking)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending