The Student Room Group

Just below a 2:1 second year. Worth resitting module a module I got a third in?

I’m doing an LLB. I’ve just finished second year and I’ve got the opportunity to resit a module I got a 42 in. I finished the year with a 59.3, and I’d only need a 48 in this module to get a 60 for the year.

Law students, or anyone with knowledge on this, Is it worth doing this module again? I know it looks better to get a 2:1 second year but I’m only really willing to do this if I could secure legal work experience next year, or that it would help me in doing so.

I should have done a mini pupillage/vac scheme by now, ani’m aware. **** happens.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Unusual.

Do you have mitigation or something?

I'd redo it, personally.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Unusual.

I'd redo it, personally.

Unusual how? Yes I have mitigating circumstances. Which is why I can retake without a cap
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Unusual.

I'd redo it, personally.

And yes I want to resit, I am a bit worried though. I only scraped a pass, and initially I thought I had done well.

Which makes me a bit apprehensive about redoing it again, especially since the new mark will stick
Reply 5
Original post by MrSoloDolo
And yes I want to resit, I am a bit worried though. I only scraped a pass, and initially I thought I had done well.

Which makes me a bit apprehensive about redoing it again, especially since the new mark will stick

If you have mitigation then you've clearly had some other stuff affecting things - there's no reason to think you can't do better if these extraneous things are now solved or better controlled. I think it's probably a win-win situation for you, honestly.
Unusual how? Yes I have mitigating circumstances. Which is why I can retake without a cap

Unusual because normally at degree level you don't get the opportunity to retake modules you have passed (even if you got a low result in it). Normally you just get a retake opportunity if you failed, which is typically capped. With mitigating circumstances though you can have an uncapped resit for a failed module or in this case, a fresh take at (low) passed module. I think the latter is less common than the former though.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Unusual because normally at degree level you don't get the opportunity to retake modules you have passed (even if you got a low result in it). Normally you just get a retake opportunity if you failed, which is typically capped. With mitigating circumstances though you can have an uncapped resit for a failed module or in this case, a fresh take at (low) passed module. I think the latter is less common than the former though.

Oh I missed the first reply! Yes, exactly all of this :smile:
Reply 8
I’d resit but each to their own.
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
If you have mitigation then you've clearly had some other stuff affecting things - there's no reason to think you can't do better if these extraneous things are now solved or better controlled. I think it's probably a win-win situation for you, honestly.

definitely, you are right, it’s the smart thing to do, to retake that is

Not going to tell my life story for everyone’s sake but my mitigating circumstances are heavily influenced by issues I’ve had my entire life. So I’m not sure if I can reap the benefit of taking the exam in a better mindset as that’s not exactly the case…

As I said I’m hesitant to redo it again because I thought I did well initially but I came back with a low third… I believe I’ve seen you comment saying that you are a lecturer. Are you a LLB lecturer/prof?
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger

I understand, I thought everyone would get that I implied I had mitigating circumstances. It’s not exactly something I want to go screaming about.
Reply 11
Original post by Euapp
I’d resit but each to their own.

I know that’s the smart thing to do, but I wanted to ask law students or professors, or anybody who knows about that field whether it’s even feasible to do legal work experience in third year. Or if getting a 60 for the year is going to help me significantly in achieving said work experience (some firms require a 60%)
Reply 12
definitely, you are right, it’s the smart thing to do, to retake that is

Not going to tell my life story for everyone’s sake but my mitigating circumstances are heavily influenced by issues I’ve had my entire life. So I’m not sure if I can reap the benefit of taking the exam in a better mindset as that’s not exactly the case…

As I said I’m hesitant to redo it again because I thought I did well initially but I came back with a low third… I believe I’ve seen you comment saying that you are a lecturer. Are you a LLB lecturer/prof?

Not LLB, no - philosophy, religion, sometimes economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending