The Student Room Group

Visa type for visiting Ph.D. researcher

Hi all,

I am a doctoral student in Canada. I intend to conduct a 4-month visit to the UK to do experimental research, which is directly relevant to my Ph.D. degree. During this time, I will not be enrolled in any courses whatsoever. I will also remain registered as a full-time student in my home university and will come back to Canada after my 4-month visit. I have also obtained the ATAS certificate.
What is the visa type that I should apply for? i.e., standard visitor visa or student visa? If the former is the case, what is the subcategory? I see it has 'academic visit' or 'short study' or 'other reason'.

I am really confused and your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
I believe this should definitely be a visitor visa since you won't be taking any courses. I suggest consulting with your graduate school's office and seeing if anyone else has conducted similar research and which visa they requested just to be safe. But since you won't be attending any courses or universities during your stay, a student's visa is not required at all as far as I understand.
Reply 2
Original post by juliannetet
I believe this should definitely be a visitor visa since you won't be taking any courses. I suggest consulting with your graduate school's office and seeing if anyone else has conducted similar research and which visa they requested just to be safe. But since you won't be attending any courses or universities during your stay, a student's visa is not required at all as far as I understand.

I also think that the standard visitor visa is the choice here. However, I am torn between the 'short-term study' and 'academic visit' subcategory of the visitor visa.
According to the UKVI website I can '*do a short piece of research that’s relevant to your course overseas*' under the 'short-term study' option of the visitor visa. But when I choose this option it asks for the proof that I am enrolled or accepted on a UK course, which is not applicable. Can I apply under the 'academic visit' even though I am still a student? I have obtained letters from my home and host supervisors supporting my visit.
Ah, I see - I misread that part in your previous post, my apologies. I believe you would be choosing the short-term study visitor's visa, with the subcategory being the "short piece of research" ( https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/visit-to-study#:~:text=If%20you%E2%80%99re%20visiting%20to%20do,months%20to%20do%20your%20research. )

I noticed you said host supervisors - if you will be working with a UK university or even just professors from a UK uni, then the requirement of "you’ve been accepted by a UK higher education institution to take part in research that’s relevant to the course you’re studying overseas" will be filled. I believe they will require that letter you mentioned of them supporting your visit.

I haven't done this route of visa, so I would definitely recommend double checking with your home and host supervisors or other PhD students who have done similar fieldwork in the past, and may be better suited to guide you. Or even contact the UK immigration office to see what they think. However, based on the situation you gave and the requirements listed on the visa website, I definitely think the short-term study subcategory is the way to go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending