The Student Room Group

My IGCSE grades

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask about my grades. I've recently received my IGCSE grades on the 14th of August. And I'm not sure if they're good enough. I take 6 subjects.

ICT - A*
PHYSICS - A*
ARABIC AS A FIRST LANGUAGE - A*
BIOLOGY - A*
MATHEMATICS (WITHOUT COURSEWORK) - B
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE - B

I also would like to ask if universities usually look at your IGCSE grades if you have good grades in AS and A2.

I would highly appreciate an answer! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Sorry I would like to correct for Biology, I got an A not an A*.
Those seem like pretty good grades - congratulations on the 3 A*s especially! A*s - Bs are usually considered to be the 'good grades' so well done there.

Most unis generally focus on your A Level grades over your GCSEs or iGCSEs but they'll probably look at your GCSE results regardless (not that you have anything to worry about there).

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by awanderingpixel
Those seem like pretty good grades - congratulations on the 3 A*s especially! A*s - Bs are usually considered to be the 'good grades' so well done there.

Most unis generally focus on your A Level grades over your GCSEs or iGCSEs but they'll probably look at your GCSE results regardless (not that you have anything to worry about there).

Sorry for bothering you again but I would like to ask one more question. I am planning to study computer engineering or telecommunication engineering in university. I would like to know if Chemistry is needed to get accepted in a university for this major? I didn't take chemistry because I'm pretty bad at it and I wouldn't have gotten a good grade in it even if i took it. So please tell me if you have any information about this topic..
According to UCAS, for some courses in computer engineering / telecommunication engineering you need a GCSE in 'science' - although this is not specific as to whether it includes chemistry or not

Imperial College London (one of the prestigious colleges), on the other hand, makes no mention of whether you need GCSE chemistry to get a degree there - instead you 'just' need an A* in Maths and an A in two other approved subjects (such as Biology and Physics but *not* ICT) at A Level.

My guess is that although GCSE Chemistry might help, it isn't compulsory as long as you do the right A-Levels although I'm not completely sure, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest