The Student Room Group

IGCSE retakes

Hello,

So I was wondering if I could get any information in regards to my hopes of retaking my maths exam in the possible November exam series. I recently did my math extended exam (0980) in May 2023 however, due to my performance anxiety I am almost certain I unfortunately did not achieve my goals. This was my first retake in 2023 since last year exams in May/June 2022. I am in year 12 currently taking A levels and taking my finals in 2024. However, due to my low results in maths, I was hoping I could retake my exam in November, however I'm not quite sure if that is a certain existing exam period, or if my school holds these exams in November. In regard to this, if this is how it is, and there would be a chance to take my maths exam, this would be beneficial since I would apply to take core maths rather than extended, so that I am confident in passing. However, since applications for universities are due in January and some maybe even earlier, would my results for the resit in maths in November come back in time? Would this affect my application if I need to send my IGCSE results?
Original post by pondfish112
Hello,

So I was wondering if I could get any information in regards to my hopes of retaking my maths exam in the possible November exam series. I recently did my math extended exam (0980) in May 2023 however, due to my performance anxiety I am almost certain I unfortunately did not achieve my goals. This was my first retake in 2023 since last year exams in May/June 2022. I am in year 12 currently taking A levels and taking my finals in 2024. However, due to my low results in maths, I was hoping I could retake my exam in November, however I'm not quite sure if that is a certain existing exam period, or if my school holds these exams in November. In regard to this, if this is how it is, and there would be a chance to take my maths exam, this would be beneficial since I would apply to take core maths rather than extended, so that I am confident in passing. However, since applications for universities are due in January and some maybe even earlier, would my results for the resit in maths in November come back in time? Would this affect my application if I need to send my IGCSE results?

Cambridge International offer both IGCSE Mathematics (Core) and IGCSE Mathematics (Extended) during the November 2023 exam series. (Source)

I don't believe that they have yet announced the date upon which those results would be available, but the November 2022 IGCSE results were available on 18 January 2023 - i.e. a week before the UCAS deadline. (Source)

The UCAS deadline next year will be on 31 January 2024 (unless you're applying for Oxford or Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science, or dentistry). (Source)

There would be no need to wait until the results are available, though, as you could simply enter the grade as Pending in UCAS and your school will replace it with a predicted grade. As long as you were predicted to achieve whatever grade your chosen university / course are asking for, you would be considered for an offer - and achieving that grade would be made a condition of any offer you received.

Quick Reply

Latest