The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Also what grade boundaries I need to use
Original post by leannexii
Can someone explain how AQA 4527 course was marked this year, the coursework was out of 90 and the paper was out of 120 but on my sheet it says the written paper was mark equiv 126 b and the CA was 174 b
I’m just confused thanks
Ah you mean 4570?

So this is about RAW marks and UMS marks.

UMS means Uniform Mark scale, and Raw is what you do in the exam.

So the results you got on today were actually out of 160 for the exam, and 240 for the coursework.

This is because the coursework is 60%. And the exam is 40% of the GCSE. But the marks that they score you out of on the exam and coursework aren't a 60/40 split are they? So AQA inflate both your coursework RAW mark, and your exam RAW mark by different amounts, so that they end up proportional to each other in a 60/40 spilt (60 coursework, 40 exam). And those inflated numbers are your UMS marks,

For the exam, a B grade was anything between 112 and 127. So you JUST missed out on the A. Which would have been 128 UMS points, This may have been one mark in the exam. :redface:

For the coursework, a B grade was between 168 and 191. That's quite a big boundary and you sit in there quite comfortably.

Type into google "AQA UMS Mark converter" and click on the first thing that come up.

Make sure it is set to UMS to RAW (not the other way around), put in your details, and it'll tell you exactly what you got on the physical exam paper (the Raw mark) and the coursework.

That make sense?:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Ah you mean 4570?

So this is about RAW marks and UMS marks.

UMS means Uniform Mark scale, and Raw is what you do in the exam.

So the results you got on today were actually out of 160 for the exam, and 240 for the coursework.

This is because the coursework is 60%. And the exam is 40% of the GCSE. But the marks that they score you out of on the exam and coursework aren't a 60/40 split are they? So AQA inflate both your coursework RAW mark, and your exam RAW mark by different amounts, so that they end up proportional to each other in a 60/40 spilt (60 coursework, 40 exam). And those inflated numbers are your UMS marks,

For the exam, a B grade was anything between 112 and 127. So you JUST missed out on the A. Which would have been 128 UMS points, This may have been one mark in the exam. :redface:

For the coursework, a B grade was between 168 and 191. That's quite a big boundary and you sit in there quite comfortably.

Type into google "AQA UMS Mark converter" and click on the first thing that come up.

Make sure it is set to UMS to RAW (not the other way around), put in your details, and it'll tell you exactly what you got on the physical exam paper (the Raw mark) and the coursework.

That make sense?:smile:

Oh my god ahhhhh

Thank you so much for that response it all makes sense now

Latest