The Student Room Group

Really need some help about college admission and course.

Hi,

My brother just got his results today and he ended u doing really bad compared to his predicted grades which ranged from 6-8.
He ended up getting;
Maths higher; grade 4
combined and trilogy science; grade 44
english language; grade 3
english lit; grade 4
geography B (grog for end minds); grade 3
ICT; grade D
sociology; D
D and T;graphic products; F
Media studies: C

As you can see the results were drastically different from the predicted grades and the school even phoned later today saying they would pay for all the remarks because of this. Another reason was because the examiner had emailed the school saying that my brother and other students had very poor writting and thus he advised to send it for remarks and may be why he got such low marks.

He revised regularly and i was at least confident he would get at least 5's and aboves and i'm a a GCSE and a level tuition teacher too so i had been tracking his progress so i thought it all would be fine but it wasn't.

The main problem now is that most colleges wont allow him to do A levels and he wanted to go into the geography pathway and do geography a levels along with psychology, and other humanity based subjects. However this has been a major pushback and my brother is just extremely depressed and has just locked himself in his room. Its okay if he can do a BTEC course but if he at least had one or two a levels, like geography and psychology to accompany it could solve this whole problem.

Please i really need some advice on what i can do to help my brother. i really would appreciate all the help.

So far we are looking into Leyton sixth form college, Newvic, and Oaks park sixth form college however the latter has very high grade boundaries.
Thank you
Original post by neuroash
Hi,

My brother just got his results today and he ended u doing really bad compared to his predicted grades which ranged from 6-8.
He ended up getting;
Maths higher; grade 4
combined and trilogy science; grade 44
english language; grade 3
english lit; grade 4
geography B (grog for end minds); grade 3
ICT; grade D
sociology; D
D and T;graphic products; F
Media studies: C

As you can see the results were drastically different from the predicted grades and the school even phoned later today saying they would pay for all the remarks because of this. Another reason was because the examiner had emailed the school saying that my brother and other students had very poor writting and thus he advised to send it for remarks and may be why he got such low marks.

He revised regularly and i was at least confident he would get at least 5's and aboves and i'm a a GCSE and a level tuition teacher too so i had been tracking his progress so i thought it all would be fine but it wasn't.

The main problem now is that most colleges wont allow him to do A levels and he wanted to go into the geography pathway and do geography a levels along with psychology, and other humanity based subjects. However this has been a major pushback and my brother is just extremely depressed and has just locked himself in his room. Its okay if he can do a BTEC course but if he at least had one or two a levels, like geography and psychology to accompany it could solve this whole problem.

Please i really need some advice on what i can do to help my brother. i really would appreciate all the help.

So far we are looking into Leyton sixth form college, Newvic, and Oaks park sixth form college however the latter has very high grade boundaries.
Thank you

Get sight of some of his exam scripts and the teachers can decide if the writing was so poor. Talk to the exam officer.
Not passing English language is an issue.
Maybe if his writing let him down then he can agree with the school to resit the year and do himself justice.
If his writing was so poor then its something he should have addressed.

I think its better to do this than being forced onto courses you dont want. lack of English will be a major issue for most sixth forms. Probably the only place with sympathy will be his existing school as others do not know him.

Quick Reply

Latest