The Student Room Group

What can I do with these A-Level subjects?

At this stage I have no idea what I want to do after A Levels but I've only began my A Level courses. I plan to do computing, history, physics and chemistry (after swapping my subjects around). My other option is to drop chemistry and just take computing, history and physics, because I simply enjoy chemistry the least and wish to focus on the main three. These are all AS choices by the way and three will be continued at A2.

What sorts of careers could I pursue, having chosen these subjects? Do they go well together? Basically, I really enjoy the 3 main subjects: computing, physics and history and I am hoping that they complement each other well. If I were to do chemistry, it would just be for AS and then would be dropped before A2.

:smile:
I've known others with that combination. Anything to do with ICT, or history would be fine (although english may be ideal if that was something you wished to pursue). Alternatively, maths may be a helpful addition if you wish to pursue STEM
Original post by allenpc
At this stage I have no idea what I want to do after A Levels but I've only began my A Level courses. I plan to do computing, history, physics and chemistry (after swapping my subjects around). My other option is to drop chemistry and just take computing, history and physics, because I simply enjoy chemistry the least and wish to focus on the main three. These are all AS choices by the way and three will be continued at A2.

What sorts of careers could I pursue, having chosen these subjects? Do they go well together? Basically, I really enjoy the 3 main subjects: computing, physics and history and I am hoping that they complement each other well. If I were to do chemistry, it would just be for AS and then would be dropped before A2.

:smile:

You cant drop subjects between AS and A2 so you would have to follow through with the subjects until the end of the 2 years. You could do computer science at Uni and then probably become a programmer, thats what comes to mid when i see those subject
Reply 3
Original post by death07/08/17
I've known others with that combination. Anything to do with ICT, or history would be fine (although english may be ideal if that was something you wished to pursue). Alternatively, maths may be a helpful addition if you wish to pursue STEM

I would have done maths but I don't really enjoy it so much. Am I quite restricted mainly to an ICT/history-oriented career or are there other careers you have in mind ? Thanks for the help by the way :smile:
Reply 4
Check out the course requirements from a randomly picked "good" university to get a feel for what you can study.

Though without Maths, many Computing and Physics based courses may be closed to you without doing a foundation year. Though Natural Sciences etc. are available.

There are loads of non-STEM degrees that just want to see essay writing abilities and good grades that would be open to you. e.g. PPE if that floats your boat.

Also scan through the Russell Group's (other universities are available), informed choices booklet for an overview of subject specific entry requirements:

https://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5686/informed-choices-2018-1-6th-edition-final.pdf
Original post by allenpc
I would have done maths but I don't really enjoy it so much. Am I quite restricted mainly to an ICT/history-oriented career or are there other careers you have in mind ? Thanks for the help by the way :smile:

Honestly, maths would give you engineering etc. Keeping chemistry but not having biology makes it difficult to have those courses. Honestly, if you're taking those subjects, surely that is what you want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest