The Student Room Group

A-Level Gap Year Which Subject do i take?

so i am currently on a gap year, I've had a change in plans and now find myself in need of one more A-level. Typically, only two are required where I come from, but I'm considering adding an additional subject within the span of a year. I'm seeking suggestions for an A-level subject that I can successfully complete in one year and achieve a decent grade. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by itadoriss type
so i am currently on a gap year, I've had a change in plans and now find myself in need of one more A-level. Typically, only two are required where I come from, but I'm considering adding an additional subject within the span of a year. I'm seeking suggestions for an A-level subject that I can successfully complete in one year and achieve a decent grade. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

What sort of subjects are you good at? What subject do you enjoy?
And what subjects do you already have an a-level in?

It depends on what sort of degree that you want to do.

The entry requirements determine what sort of subject you do, not our preferences.

Personally, I would do Maths, as it would open a lot of doors (it's a required subject). However, if you don't intend to go into STEM, economics, finance, or business analysis, it's not generally required.

If presented in a situation where you want to do a third A Level as a private candidate but don't want to spend a lot or go through a lot of hassle to get the full A Level, then I would look at those subjects that don't require coursework or have special requirements for certain assessments e.g.
https://www.tutorchase.com/blog/which-a-levels-don-t-have-coursework
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/how-are-my-as-and-a-level-studies-structured (for subjects with practicals and coursework)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1925583
In this case, I would avoid the sciences, art and design, English lit, music, dance, PE, languages, media studies, history, geology, archaeology, computer science, ICT, electronics, drama, geography, film studies,
From these, only the sciences, music, and languages are strictly considered required subjects. Lit, PE, history, computer science, geology, and geography are sometimes required for their respective degrees, but not always.
Unless it's strictly required for the degree that you really want to do, I would avoid the subjects mentioned above since it can cost a lot and involve a lot of hassle.

Subjects that I can do without coursework/practicals include: economics, business, further maths, psychology, sociology, accounting, religious studies, philosophy, environmental science, politics, ancient history, classical civilisation, law, hitstory of art, statistics.

Further Maths would be my second favourite option, but that's only if you really like maths or want to do a quantitative degree at a top end uni.
Classical civilisation be my third, partly because I enjoy reading about ancient history.
The other subjects listed above aren't required subjects. However, if I were then to pick from them, I would choose economics, then psychology, environmental science, sociology, philosophy, politics, statistics, business, religious studies, accounting, history of art, in that order. Law is a subject I personally avoid since I hate the subject, but people who did the subject themselves don't like the A Level for various reasons (and I am not being biased).
The more vocational and softer subjects include sociology, business, law, and accounting according to various sources. Other subjects listed are considered academic. Take what you will from the above.

Whether you can get a decent grade from the subject would depend more on you than on the subject. I could say economics is easy, but many many other people would say it's not. Likewise, I might have difficulty studying literature, but many people would say it's easy.
As I don't know enough about your strengths and interests, you would have to decide for yourself.
Reply 3
And when you say 'a year', when do you intend to start this A level?
Original post by Emma:-)
What sort of subjects are you good at? What subject do you enjoy?
And what subjects do you already have an a-level in?

So firstly, I am good at science subjects like biology. I have an A* in IGCSE and an A in AS Level. I really enjoy biology and find it interesting. I have chemistry, biology, and maths for AS, and only chemistry and biology for A-level. I dropped maths not because of the difficulty; I enjoyed it, but I had a situation where I had to do so. Now it's backfiring on me and affecting my uni application
So firstly, I am good at science subjects like biology. I have an A* in IGCSE and an A in AS Level. I really enjoy biology and find it interesting. I have chemistry, biology, and maths for AS, and only chemistry and biology for A-level. I dropped maths not because of the difficulty; I enjoyed it, but I had a situation where I had to do so. Now it's backfiring on me and affecting my uni application

If you are into science then how about physics?
Or maybe psychology (which is not a million miles away from the traditional sciences, especially biology.
Original post by Emma:-)
If you are into science then how about physics?
Or maybe psychology (which is not a million miles away from the traditional sciences, especially biology.

I'll probably look into it. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest