The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2000 Q21(d)

Hi :smile:

Soo, I was hoping that someone would be able to explain this question for me, I've attempted it with little-to-no success as we haven't really covered anything related to it. I've looked at the answers online and haven't found it to be very enlightening to here I am. It's just a question in a homework exercise.

The question itself is Q21 (d) in the 2000 Higher Physics Past Paper.
tempsnip.png
There's an energy conversion taking place. The initial KE of the penny is converted into gravitational potential energy (GPE) as the penny increases height.

if the penny missed the saucer and fell back to the height it was released from, the GPE would be converted back to KE again - since we're assuming no air drag it would have the original amount of KE again when it reached the same height it was released from.
Original post by Joinedup
There's an energy conversion taking place. The initial KE of the penny is converted into gravitational potential energy (GPE) as the penny increases height.

if the penny missed the saucer and fell back to the height it was released from, the GPE would be converted back to KE again - since we're assuming no air drag it would have the original amount of KE again when it reached the same height it was released from.

Ah right, thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest