The Student Room Group

Have I got a realistic chance of getting into Camebridge??

I'm looking to apply for a maths or/and physics degree (2024) and was considering Cambridge as an option. At AS level I am predicted:
Maths - A*
Further maths - A* (self study with supervisions)
Physics - A*
Literature - A*
History - A*
However, my gcses are:
History - A
Physics - B
Biology - B
Maths - B
Geography - B
Baccalaureate - B
English lit - B
English lang - B
Numeracy - C
Chemistry - C
French - D
Welsh - D

Are my gcses too bad to have a realistic chance of a successful application? (Thanks in advance for any helpful replies)
It depends - did you have any serious extenuating circumstances occurring during your GCSEs which prevented you from achieving higher grades in the first place?

Although A-levels play a much more important role in the application process (particularly for physical/mathematical sciences), I must stress that the distinct lack of A*'s in your GCSEs will almost certainly raise some eyebrows in the admissions office - especially given the top notch A-level predicted grades you seem to have come out with (some of which are several grades higher than what you came out with at GCSE).

At this point, I would have called it a total dealbreaker - but as you appear to be in Wales, high grades at AS-level may potentially make up for the lack of A*'s at GCSE (this is not a sure thing, however). Even then, just keep in mind that competition will almost certainly be offering all A*-A grades (if not straight A*'s) at GCSE. So, as much as I hate to sound discouraging here, you may have to reconsider if you are unable to provide an adequate explanation as to what happened during your GCSEs.

If you do, however, have compelling circumstances which impacted your performance at GCSE, please be sure to inform your teachers ASAP - for they wouldn't hesitate to mention these in your reference which will soon be sent through via UCAS (assuming 2024 entry).

These are just my thoughts based off what you have provided in this post, I hope this advice will have been useful to you! :wink: (Hope I didn't come off as a bit too blunt)
Thanks for the reply,
I didn't sit my exams but rather had predicted grades due to covid regulations in Wales. (Online classes etc). However I study at an English School now.
Reply 3
very irrelevant to your q, but how did you self study further maths?
Original post by CharlieIzHereMfs
Thanks for the reply,
I didn't sit my exams but rather had predicted grades due to covid regulations in Wales. (Online classes etc). However I study at an English School now.

Cambridge don't put a great deal of weight on GCSEs. However, make sure your referee explains that those results were based on predicted grades and that you are clearly performing at a higher level in the real world.

Quick Reply

Latest