The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography - How would you approach this 9 marker?

"Evaluate the effectiveness of tourism in reducing the development gap. Use Figure 9 and your own knowledge."

It is Question 2.10 from https://www.stjohnboscoartscollege.com/downloads/curriculum/geography/additional_sam_paper_2.pdf (not my school)
plan with some statistics about the case study you have studied in school

would start with an introduction about what the development gap is and what tourism is / the effects - could have an overall statistic on development or development gap or tourism but this isn’t necessary
Main paragraph on some advantages of tourism using the figure AND the case study
second paragraph on some disadvantages of tourism using the figure AND the case study
conclusion with your opinion on the effectiveness of tourism - don’t include any new statistics
Reply 2
There are several command words in the GCSE AQA. These can be explained using this resource. The command words are meant to test your assessment objectives, which can be found here. Do not learn them all off by heart. Summarize using a few words. They're clunky, they're meant to test your different geographical abilities.

It is a common misconception that knowledge, and more specifically, case studies is the key to success. While still an important part, It is the skills of linking different processes and seeing how they interact, both physically and humanly. I cannot emphasize how important this skill is. Develop it by immersing yourself in geography and the news. I really recommend the book Prisoners of Geography as a starting point.

"Evaluate" command words include AO1, 2 and 3. Like what agent_duck343 said, start with the definitions, effects ect. in the introduction. The question is really asking though, How does tourism affect the development gap?

Step 1: State the obvious and explain the obvious: Figure 1 shows a relationship where as arrivals increases, so does receipts. This is reflected by the increase in the amount of overall receipts where between the years 2000 and 2012 the amount of tourists coming into Botswana doubled and so did receipts. One of the reasons for this because tourists bring in money to spend.
Step 2: Ask yourself, how does this figure really links to the question: With more money, the Botswanans' quality of lives improve shortening the development gap.
Step 3: Find another way explain the things: However, just because the amount of wealth is increasing, doesn't mean the quality of life is. The wealth might only be generated in areas of safari elephants and tourist hotspots. This would increase inequality.
Step 4: Conclude by summarizing your point: Overall, the Figure 1 shows that there is a link between tourism and receipts, but there are many other factors that can determine wether this improves quality of life.

Whoah. That was long. But as you practice more you can get quicker with your answers, and your answers become more concise. Here's my best attempt of answering the question:

Fig 1. shows a proportional relationship between tourism and receipts, reflected between years 2000 to 2012 where both doubled. A simple model for this is that more tourists are coming into Botswana will spend money, increasing the receipts. This means wealth of the country increases and so does quality of life. However, this has many flaws. increasing wealth doesn't increase quality of life. Moreover, the economy might become too reliant on the tourism sector, leaving the economy vulnerable to shock. This isn't sustainable. Overall, there is a link between tourism and receipts, but whether quality of life improves is debated.

Yeah... I sound like a know it all. First term of year 12 here. Just rinse and repeat with the other sources and bob's your uncle! I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Saidist
There are several command words in the GCSE AQA. These can be explained using this resource. The command words are meant to test your assessment objectives, which can be found here. Do not learn them all off by heart. Summarize using a few words. They're clunky, they're meant to test your different geographical abilities.

It is a common misconception that knowledge, and more specifically, case studies is the key to success. While still an important part, It is the skills of linking different processes and seeing how they interact, both physically and humanly. I cannot emphasize how important this skill is. Develop it by immersing yourself in geography and the news. I really recommend the book Prisoners of Geography as a starting point.

"Evaluate" command words include AO1, 2 and 3. Like what agent_duck343 said, start with the definitions, effects ect. in the introduction. The question is really asking though, How does tourism affect the development gap?

Step 1: State the obvious and explain the obvious: Figure 1 shows a relationship where as arrivals increases, so does receipts. This is reflected by the increase in the amount of overall receipts where between the years 2000 and 2012 the amount of tourists coming into Botswana doubled and so did receipts. One of the reasons for this because tourists bring in money to spend.
Step 2: Ask yourself, how does this figure really links to the question: With more money, the Botswanans' quality of lives improve shortening the development gap.
Step 3: Find another way explain the things: However, just because the amount of wealth is increasing, doesn't mean the quality of life is. The wealth might only be generated in areas of safari elephants and tourist hotspots. This would increase inequality.
Step 4: Conclude by summarizing your point: Overall, the Figure 1 shows that there is a link between tourism and receipts, but there are many other factors that can determine wether this improves quality of life.

Whoah. That was long. But as you practice more you can get quicker with your answers, and your answers become more concise. Here's my best attempt of answering the question:

Fig 1. shows a proportional relationship between tourism and receipts, reflected between years 2000 to 2012 where both doubled. A simple model for this is that more tourists are coming into Botswana will spend money, increasing the receipts. This means wealth of the country increases and so does quality of life. However, this has many flaws. increasing wealth doesn't increase quality of life. Moreover, the economy might become too reliant on the tourism sector, leaving the economy vulnerable to shock. This isn't sustainable. Overall, there is a link between tourism and receipts, but whether quality of life improves is debated.

Yeah... I sound like a know it all. First term of year 12 here. Just rinse and repeat with the other sources and bob's your uncle! I hope this helps :smile:

i didn't expect to get such a detailed response ! thank you :smile:) how many of these paragraphs do you recommend for the 9 marker?
Reply 4
This is where my unfamiliarity of the exam board itself reveals itself. My exam board that I did GCSE geography in was edexcel, which requires a balance argument based on the command words on some questions, but also judgement on others. And some command words required both balance and judgement. It's complicated, but my general rule of thumb is say what I think. Don't worry about being too one sided, as long as you can back up your point while showing the other side of the argument. This is the most important aspect of my technique and if missed, you'll lose much more marks...

Moreover the sources. I really don't know how often I should use them. This is probably what prevented me from getting a 8 or 9. Ask your teacher.

The idea itself of advantages or disadvantages taught by teachers is so that the exam structure is accessible to everyone, because it's an easy concept. The whole world in reality a mish mash of good and bad. It's more accurate to present a process, such as tourism, and say all the effects of it, and than start off with saying that process is right or wrong. If you find you're disagreeing with everything, then cool. You're forming opinions. The exam questions are marked by different examiners so they wouldn't even know.

In terms of paragraphs, I would do 2-3 (That's 4-5 in total including the conclusion and intro). As your quality of answer is going to be much higher, You wouldn't need as many points to show analysis.
Original post by masalachips
i didn't expect to get such a detailed response ! thank you :smile:) how many of these paragraphs do you recommend for the 9 marker?

I usually do four paragraphs in all my nine markers

introduction

advantages / for the statement / first point

disadvantages / against the statement/ second point

conclusion

The two paragraphs in the main body can change depending on the specific question but for your question I would do advantages of tourism and disadvantages of tourism.

Don’t forget to do timed practice on these questions bc I think this is most important for geography when there is only 2 extra minutes per paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending