The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway, University of London applicants chat and FAQ 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I sent my UCAS for around 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received an acknowledgement email. How come?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by BigH19
I sent my UCAS for around 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received an acknowledgement email. How come?

could be in your spam
Reply 102
Original post by dartagnankillian
could be in your spam

ive checked and there is nothing
Original post by CPS23
I received an offer about two weeks ago and still haven't received an invitation to an Applicant Visit Day? How come

the admissions office only re-opened a couple days ago and I'm sure they're very busy with a large number of applications so it might take a while to reach yours. also it would be a good reach to check your spam folder : )
Original post by BigH19

Hi BigH19,

If you PM your name and email address, I can take a look into this for you.

Susana :smile:
I’ve had an unconditional (if firm) offer for law, got an offer holder day booked!
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi everyone!

This is a thread for all applicants thinking of studying at Royal Holloway in 2019. Feel free to ask any questions, or just to introduce yourself. :hello:

Here's a few questions to get you get started:

What course will you be applying for?
How are you feeling about starting uni?
Are you planning on attending an Open Day or have you already been to one? (Feel free to share any pictures of campus you might have!)

Thomas, Jane and guests 600x270.jpg

Want more information about Royal Holloway? You can order a prospectus here.

Hello!
I'm Em, and I've applied to Royal Holloway to study Biomeidcal Sciences, starting in September of this year. I'd love to find others who'v applied for the same course as me!
I've recieved my unconditional offer for Psychology, and my first trip to England, ever, is happening soon, and i'll be visiting! Very excited for the future. I was wondering how the Hockey sports club is like as well as the HP one, are they any active?
Original post by em_panucked
Hello!
I'm Em, and I've applied to Royal Holloway to study Biomeidcal Sciences, starting in September of this year. I'd love to find others who'v applied for the same course as me!

I applied for biomedical sciences as well!
Original post by ellievn
I've recieved my unconditional offer for Psychology, and my first trip to England, ever, is happening soon, and i'll be visiting! Very excited for the future. I was wondering how the Hockey sports club is like as well as the HP one, are they any active?

Hi ellievn,

Both societies are active with Hockey having a number of teams to support the amount of participants and the Harry Potter society hosts a Yule Ball every year in the Founder's Dining Hall and have Quidditch matches on campus.

We have a number of students that you can chat to on our website here, including third year Psychology student, Lucy, who would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I was an international student at Royal Holloway, so I'm also happy to answer any questions.

Hellos,

Wish you all a very happy new year:smile: I am an international (Indian) student embarking on my master's. I have unconditional offers from Royal Holloway for these two courses: (1) MSc Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry, and (2) MSc Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry. I am yet to formally accept any of the offers, either from RHUL or the ones I have from other UK universities. I intend to work for at least a couple of years in the UK after my master's and hence leaning towards programmes that offer placements. My personal interest lies in AI. However, I have been hearing Data Science opens up more job opportunities. Oh, btw, I have 12+ years of experience working in the IT, primarily as a project manager but have programming hands-on too (in the early part of my career). Anyone here who could provide inputs regarding the strengths of RHUL Computer Science department and how good is its industry network. Also, can I choose to transfer to 1 year Master's towards the later part of my course skipping the placement year, just in case I get lucky to get a sponsor+job offer :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 2ndInnings
Hellos,

Wish you all a very happy new year:smile: I am an international (Indian) student embarking on my master's. I have unconditional offers from Royal Holloway for these two courses: (1) MSc Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry, and (2) MSc Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry. I am yet to formally accept any of the offers, either from RHUL or the ones I have from other UK universities. I intend to work for at least a couple of years in the UK after my master's and hence leaning towards programmes that offer placements. My personal interest lies in AI. However, I have been hearing Data Science opens up more job opportunities. Oh, btw, I have 12+ years of experience working in the IT, primarily as a project manager but have programming hands-on too (in the early part of my career). Anyone here who could provide inputs regarding the strengths of RHUL Computer Science department and how good is its industry network. Also, can I choose to transfer to 1 year Master's towards the later part of my course skipping the placement year, just in case I get lucky to get a sponsor+job offer :biggrin:

Hi 2ndInnings,

Our Department of Computer Science benefits from strong industry ties as we are located near 'England's Silicon Valley', which means you'll be surrounded by a major high-technology hub. Some of our students have undertaken their placements at Rolls Royce, Disney and VMWARE among others. Due to our close proximity, many companies visit our campus throughout the year advertising graduate jobs and offering placements.

The year in industry is a great opportunity to get to know a company before entering the industry. As an international student, this can be beneficial as you don't require a work visa because the placement is part of your studies. From a company's point of view, hosting a Masters student is a great opportunity for them to determine if you would be a suitable long-term hire candidate.

With regards to switching to the one year course, this may be possible but is assessed on a case by case basis with the department.

If you're interest to see where some of our other graduates have moved on to, you can find a list of graduates as well as testimonials on our website here.

Hi 2ndInnings,

Our Department of Computer Science benefits from strong industry ties as we are located near 'England's Silicon Valley', which means you'll be surrounded by a major high-technology hub. Some of our students have undertaken their placements at Rolls Royce, Disney and VMWARE among others. Due to our close proximity, many companies visit our campus throughout the year advertising graduate jobs and offering placements.

The year in industry is a great opportunity to get to know a company before entering the industry. As an international student, this can be beneficial as you don't require a work visa because the placement is part of your studies. From a company's point of view, hosting a Masters student is a great opportunity for them to determine if you would be a suitable long-term hire candidate.

With regards to switching to the one year course, this may be possible but is assessed on a case by case basis with the department.

If you're interest to see where some of our other graduates have moved on to, you can find a list of graduates as well as testimonials on our website here.

Thanks a ton, Susana! Great help. I do have queries regarding postgraduate accommodation options at Royal Holloway. Glancing through other threads have given me some heads up. Let me collate all my queries together and send them to you some other day. At the moment I need to finalise the uni and the programme :confused: would have been nice if I could connect with any current postgraduate AI or Data Science student. Is that too much to ask for?
Thanks a ton, Susana! Great help. I do have queries regarding postgraduate accommodation options at Royal Holloway. Glancing through other threads have given me some heads up. Let me collate all my queries together and send them to you some other day. At the moment I need to finalise the uni and the programme :confused: would have been nice if I could connect with any current postgraduate AI or Data Science student. Is that too much to ask for?

Hi 2ndInnings,

I've contacted the department and I will let you know if there's a student you are able to speak to further about the course.

Hi 2ndInnings,

I've contacted the department and I will let you know if there's a student you are able to speak to further about the course.

Thank you Susana, really appreciate :smile:
For any Indian student planning to study at Royal Holloway:
"Eligible Indian nationals and students domiciled in India, who pay international fees, will receive a £4,000 tuition fee discount" which is stated on university's webpage at: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-funding/postgraduate/scholarships/computer-science-scholarships/

Susana, can you please confirm if I will receive the £4,000 tuition fee discount. I am an international (Indian) student with offer to study Master's at RHUL and I will be paying the international fees.
For any Indian student planning to study at Royal Holloway:
"Eligible Indian nationals and students domiciled in India, who pay international fees, will receive a £4,000 tuition fee discount" which is stated on university's webpage at: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-funding/postgraduate/scholarships/computer-science-scholarships/

Susana, can you please confirm if I will receive the £4,000 tuition fee discount. I am an international (Indian) student with offer to study Master's at RHUL and I will be paying the international fees.

Hi 2ndInnings,

Eligible students are automatically considered and you will receive notification if you are a successful recipient of the scholarship.

If you have any questions about our scholarships, I would recommend getting in touch with our Admissions team at [email protected].

Thank you Susana, really appreciate :smile:

Hi 2ndInnings,

The Department of Computer Science are happy to take any questions you have about the course and can be reached at [email protected]. They'll also be able to assist you in finding a current student to speak with.

I've received word that they've seen my application (as they've emailed me asking me a question on it) so roughly how long could it take now? Getting so impatient 😩
Original post by dartagnankillian
I've received word that they've seen my application (as they've emailed me asking me a question on it) so roughly how long could it take now? Getting so impatient 😩

update: I got in!! yay 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending