The Student Room Group

Looking for university recommendations and advice! (International student, IB)

Hi all, I hope you've been well. I'm looking for university recommendations and have some questions regarding my chances at some universities as well as regarding applications in general. I'm an IBDP student from Singapore and I scored a 36/45 with a 765 at an HL level. I have compulsory military service for two years and intend to complete my UCAS application in 2025 for enrolment in 2026.

I understand that I only have 5 choices for UCAS but here are the universities and courses I've looked into and am interested in applying to (am open to further recommendations as well): Warwick University (History and Politics BA), King’s College London (History and International Relations BA), Manchester University (Politics and Modern History BA), York University (History and Politics BA), Nottingham University (History and Politics BA), Loughborough University (History and Politics BA), Royal Holloway University (History, Politics and International Relations BA).

The entry requirements for Warwick, Manchester, York and Nottingham for this course is 36; King's is 35; Loughborough is 34 and Royal Holloway is 32. With my IB score of 36 (my 7 is in HL History), is it viable for me to consider these universities? I don't have much re: supercurriculars tbh.

I have another question - some universities stipulate an entry requirement of 666 for the IB HL subjects. I got a 765 (likely sending one subject for a remark, fingers crossed I can bump up to a 775), would that be alright? From what I've read online, it's dependent on the university but has anyone here had a similar experience while applying to the above universities, and how did it go? The 5 is in Literature and I know it's quite strongly related to my desired course 😔 Also, I understand that my 36/45 is pretty low by Singaporean standards - how detrimental will this be to my chances?

Would greatly appreciate any advice ✌️ Thanks for reading :smile:
The first thing to say is 765 or 775 does not meet 666. Most universities dont work on a ucas points based system. Whether you will get nobody can say for definite. It will depend on how many others meet ALL the requirements including 666. If a university doesnt fill its spaces they will normally look at near misses and MIGHT accept you with 765 but nobody can guarantee that.

It is certainly feasible to apply to universities where you meet the entry standard or below. There is a strong possibility of you getting offers but nobody can you will for sure. I think it would be wise to have 1 or 2 choices where you meet or are below ALL your conditions.

As far as choice of universities it is difficult to advice you as everyone has different likes and dislikes. Firstly Kings is very much in the middle of London which is far and away the biggest city in the UK. It is very expensive to live and very impersonal but it does offer fantastic theatres and sporting facilities. Coming from Singapore which is extremely built up it may suit you though.

Royal Holloway is a campus universities on the outskirts of London near Heathrow and Windsor. It is a very green campus but wont feel like a city university. That is something for you to consider.

Wariwck university is a campus university several miles outside a mid size city in Coventry which is a very industrial city. This is something for you to consider.

Loughborough is quite a small town and nothing like Singapore. The university is well known for its fabulous sporting facilities.

York is in one of the most historic cities. Again a fairly small city with very historic buildings.

Manchester is one of the UKs biggest cities but nowhere near the size of Singapore and the university is a city centre university. It will have many concerts there if that is what interests you.

Nottingham is a campus university a few miles outside the city. It is a huge university in a mid size city. The campus is very green.

As I have tried to explain all the universities will be very different and it is for you to see which environment you prefer.
Original post by swanseajack1
The first thing to say is 765 or 775 does not meet 666. Most universities dont work on a ucas points based system. Whether you will get nobody can say for definite. It will depend on how many others meet ALL the requirements including 666. If a university doesnt fill its spaces they will normally look at near misses and MIGHT accept you with 765 but nobody can guarantee that.

It is certainly feasible to apply to universities where you meet the entry standard or below. There is a strong possibility of you getting offers but nobody can you will for sure. I think it would be wise to have 1 or 2 choices where you meet or are below ALL your conditions.

As far as choice of universities it is difficult to advice you as everyone has different likes and dislikes. Firstly Kings is very much in the middle of London which is far and away the biggest city in the UK. It is very expensive to live and very impersonal but it does offer fantastic theatres and sporting facilities. Coming from Singapore which is extremely built up it may suit you though.

Royal Holloway is a campus universities on the outskirts of London near Heathrow and Windsor. It is a very green campus but wont feel like a city university. That is something for you to consider.

Wariwck university is a campus university several miles outside a mid size city in Coventry which is a very industrial city. This is something for you to consider.

Loughborough is quite a small town and nothing like Singapore. The university is well known for its fabulous sporting facilities.

York is in one of the most historic cities. Again a fairly small city with very historic buildings.

Manchester is one of the UKs biggest cities but nowhere near the size of Singapore and the university is a city centre university. It will have many concerts there if that is what interests you.

Nottingham is a campus university a few miles outside the city. It is a huge university in a mid size city. The campus is very green.

As I have tried to explain all the universities will be very different and it is for you to see which environment you prefer.

thanks for the insight :smile:
Original post by KnowMoreSecrets
Hi all, I hope you've been well. I'm looking for university recommendations and have some questions regarding my chances at some universities as well as regarding applications in general. I'm an IBDP student from Singapore and I scored a 36/45 with a 765 at an HL level. I have compulsory military service for two years and intend to complete my UCAS application in 2025 for enrolment in 2026.

I understand that I only have 5 choices for UCAS but here are the universities and courses I've looked into and am interested in applying to (am open to further recommendations as well): Warwick University (History and Politics BA), King’s College London (History and International Relations BA), Manchester University (Politics and Modern History BA), York University (History and Politics BA), Nottingham University (History and Politics BA), Loughborough University (History and Politics BA), Royal Holloway University (History, Politics and International Relations BA).

The entry requirements for Warwick, Manchester, York and Nottingham for this course is 36; King's is 35; Loughborough is 34 and Royal Holloway is 32. With my IB score of 36 (my 7 is in HL History), is it viable for me to consider these universities? I don't have much re: supercurriculars tbh.

I have another question - some universities stipulate an entry requirement of 666 for the IB HL subjects. I got a 765 (likely sending one subject for a remark, fingers crossed I can bump up to a 775), would that be alright? From what I've read online, it's dependent on the university but has anyone here had a similar experience while applying to the above universities, and how did it go? The 5 is in Literature and I know it's quite strongly related to my desired course 😔 Also, I understand that my 36/45 is pretty low by Singaporean standards - how detrimental will this be to my chances?

Hi @KnowMoreSecrets ,

It is great to hear you are considering studying at Loughborough!

As this is quite a specific question I don't want to give you the wrong information so I would recommend you contact admissions: [email protected] You can find the admissions website here.

They will be able to give you more specific information and guidance.

If you have any questions about Loughborough I am more then happy to help. I have done 2 years at Loughborough so can give you some insight.

I hope this helps 🙂

Alex
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @KnowMoreSecrets ,

It is great to hear you are considering studying at Loughborough!

As this is quite a specific question I don't want to give you the wrong information so I would recommend you contact admissions: [email protected] You can find the admissions website here.

They will be able to give you more specific information and guidance.

If you have any questions about Loughborough I am more then happy to help. I have done 2 years at Loughborough so can give you some insight.

I hope this helps 🙂

Alex

Thank you :smile:
Original post by KnowMoreSecrets

Hi there,

We're delighted that you're interested in studying at Royal Holloway, University of London. We're proud to be ranked highly for the quality of our research and our teaching - a powerful combination that directly benefits you. By choosing to study here, you'll become part of a vibrant community that's all about inspiring you to succeed!

You can find out more about our History course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/research-and-teaching/departments-and-schools/history/ and our Politics and International Relations course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/politics-and-international-relations/politics-and-international-relations/ including the entry requirements and course content.

If you have any specific questions about making an application, you may find this page helpful: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/applying/

Get answers to the questions that matter to you by chatting with our students and staff! You can chat to a current student to find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

We're delighted that you're interested in studying at Royal Holloway, University of London. We're proud to be ranked highly for the quality of our research and our teaching - a powerful combination that directly benefits you. By choosing to study here, you'll become part of a vibrant community that's all about inspiring you to succeed!

You can find out more about our History course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/research-and-teaching/departments-and-schools/history/ and our Politics and International Relations course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/politics-and-international-relations/politics-and-international-relations/ including the entry requirements and course content.

If you have any specific questions about making an application, you may find this page helpful: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/applying/

Get answers to the questions that matter to you by chatting with our students and staff! You can chat to a current student to find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending