The Student Room Group

Maths help

I do not understand how the answer is 6.31.
The question in the textbook was as follows.

The table below shows the frequency distribution for the number of petals in the flowers of a group of celandines.

Calculate the mean number of petals.

I have attached the table in the post below.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1

The table below shows the frequency distribution for the number of petals in the flowers of a group of celandines.

Original post by Sena5

number of petals frequency 5 8 6 57 7 29 8 3 9 1

The meas number of petals would be =total number of petalstotal number of flowers= \dfrac{\text{total number of petals}}{\text{total number of flowers}}
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
The meas number of petals would be =total number of petalstotal number of flowers= \dfrac{\text{total number of petals}}{\text{total number of flowers}}

Hi, thank you!
Can you explain how you got this?
I'll do the working out below.
Please correct it if anything goes wrong.

(5x8) + (6x57) + (7x29) + (8x3) + (9x1) 618
--------------------------------------------------- = ------- = 6.31
8 + 57 + 29 + 3 +1 98

thank you!

so if the question says find the mean number of petals we should first find the total number of petals and then divide by the frequency?
Original post by Sena5
Hi, thank you!
Can you explain how you got this?
I'll do the working out below.
Please correct it if anything goes wrong.

(5x8) + (6x57) + (7x29) + (8x3) + (9x1) 618
--------------------------------------------------- = ------- = 6.31
8 + 57 + 29 + 3 +1 98

thank you!

so if the question says find the mean number of petals we should first find the total number of petals and then divide by the frequency?

Yes. The question equivalently asks 'what is the mean number of petals per flower?' so it's just number of petals divided by number of flowers.
Reply 5
ion
Original post by RDKGames
Yes. The question equivalently asks 'what is the mean number of petals per flower?' so it's just number of petals divided by number of flowers.

I also have the following doubts. This is from a totally different question.

1 17 minutes ago Report post A company makes school blazers in 8 sizes.
The first 4 sizes cost 48pounds.
The next 3 sizes cost 60pounds and the largest size costs 76.80pounds.
Write down, with a reason which of the mean, median or mode cost the company is likely to use in advertising its average price.

The answers in the text book was mode which is 48 pounds. The median value provided in the book is 54 pounds which is true. However, when I worked out the median using the cumulative frequency I got 92.4pounds. Where might I have gone wrong? I added 48+60+76.80 =184.8 184.8/2=92.4

The mean value provided in the book is 56.10 pounds. How would have this value been the answer? Please help

Quick Reply

Latest