The Student Room Group

Worcester or LMH?

I can’t decide between these two for biochemistry! Which one is more suited for biochemistry? Please help!
Neither one is more suited to biochemistry. What other factors do you want a college to have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I want it to be old and have lots of green spaces. Nice rooms if possible and friendly.
Reply 3
Both colleges meet the criteria you've given, so to narrow it down a bit:
- How much do you care about being close to the city centre?
- Have you looked into the accommodation costs at both? Would either give you on site accommodation for your whole degree, and is this a priority for you?
- Are you willing to accept the possibility of an increased risk of being reallocated to another college pre-interview (if you apply to Worcester)?
Reply 4
I’m not too bothered about being close to the city centre. Think that both colleges allow you to live off site in your final years. Is Worcester very popular? I don’t mind being reallocated as long as it’s to one I like which I know I have no control over 😂
Reply 5
Original post by horseylove
I’m not too bothered about being close to the city centre. Think that both colleges allow you to live off site in your final years. Is Worcester very popular? I don’t mind being reallocated as long as it’s to one I like which I know I have no control over 😂

I don't have any data on it, but I get the impression that Worcester is more oversubscribed than LMH. Have you visited the colleges to see which one you prefer?
Reply 6
I visited LMH but not Worcester as I didn’t really consider it at the time. Do you think it’s likely I will get reallocated if I apply to Worcester? I don’t do maths A level and that’s preferred but not essential so this is why I’m choosing carefully.
I visited LMH but not Worcester as I didn’t really consider it at the time. Do you think it’s likely I will get reallocated if I apply to Worcester? I don’t do maths A level and that’s preferred but not essential so this is why I’m choosing carefully.

If you want to know about Worcester then @The_Lonely_Goatherd may be able to help :gah:
Reply 8

Popularity only matters by subject, and then the quality of applications counts, not just numbers. Here

https://public.tableau.com/views/UniversityofOxford-CollegeSuccessRates2017/CollegeSuccessRateswithCommentary?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:showVizHome=no

you'll see that Worcester were actually an importing college for Biochemistry in 2017 and 2016
I’m not too bothered about being close to the city centre. Think that both colleges allow you to live off site in your final years.

All colleges allow you to live off site from year 2 I thnk. Realistically probably year 1 as well if you ask permission!

Original post by RichE
Popularity only matters by subject, and then the quality of applications counts, not just numbers. H

Can i question the validity of this logic?

Obviously i appreciate you are only in direct competition with those doing your subject, so you might think to only consider that subject. But do these numbers reach a statistical significance? Isn't there a lot of variation?

Becasue an alternative theory is that the factors which determine college popularity are often independent of subject. And so if you wish to make amodel predicting the popularity of a subject next year, you should consider both popularity of specific subject, and popularity of the college overall.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime

Because an alternative theory is that the factors which determine college popularity are often independent of subject. And so if you wish to make amodel predicting the popularity of a subject next year, you should consider both popularity of specific subject, and popularity of the college overall.

The situation involves allsorts of dependencies but just because a college is popular generally doesn't mean its popular in a given specific subject. Certainly there must be some popular subjects for the overall aggregate to be high, but individual subjects needn't be. Speaking without knowing an applicant's specific subject then one cannot make much more of a comment except to advise about the popularity of the college; but if the subject is known - as has been the case for the two I've commented about - then the subjects aren't particularly over-subscribed and such comments can be made because the data is published over a number of years.

College X might be popular because it's central, rich, beautiful, etc. and these facts apply independent of subject, but if college X has one of the smaller cohorts in a particular subject, or is miles away from a specific faculty, then these cons could easily counter the general pros relating to the college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending