The Student Room Group

Blog of a Banana, Oxford Physics Undergrad: Impostoring, 'Nighters, Confusion 😣😫

Undergrad course: Physics
College: LMH
Arrival date: 25 Sept

I'm estimating that I wouldn't be able to make a full blog, instead this would be a dumping ground of random updates when I feel like it.

Vacation Work not done yet: Stats, Matlab aarrghhh I hate computer stuff
How I'm reminding myself: Gmail, just gna schedule the emails so I get notified whenever I need to do something important.
Stress coping mechanism: None as of yet, maybe I should get one

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe I should introduce myself better HAHAHA!

Hi, I'm a physics nerd who's going to study physics at Oxford. I've honestly been slacking the past few years, and it has come to bite me back; think so many people have caught up and become much better while I've fallen behind. I really need to up my social skills, try out new things, and start making good habits such as exercising and sleeping well. I'm gonna try to improve over the course of the year!! >.<

Things I want to improve on:
1. nutrition,
2. sleep hygiene,
3. budgeting and time management,
4. exercise,
5. studying techniques!

My most important goal atm is to get a first class degree, understand physics very deeply!

Gonna seriously try to not screw up my degree and life T-T

Additional Info about me:

Spoiler

Reply 2
You know when you try to make something a habit, it's like playing a game irl, and I don't play games nowadays T-T

1. Nutrition: (A) I aim to eat at least 3 meals a day; (B) I gotta eat a fruit for breakfast a day
2. Sleep hygiene: (A) I aim to drop everything and start getting ready for sleep at 9 am
3. Budgeting: -
4. Exercise: -
5. Studying Techniques: -

[Let's call today Day -22 since that's the number of days until the start of Week 1!]
Reply 3
Day -21:

Life is kinda afloat atm. I got my college parents! One's a physicist and one's a classics dude. Emailed them early in the morning but no response yet.

Failed to finish a waves video I'm making T-T sorrey LJ!!!
I tried to study some lenses from optics from Hecht too.
Original post by PAT_22
Maybe I should introduce myself better HAHAHA!

Hi, I'm a physics nerd who's going to study physics at Oxford. I've honestly been slacking the past few years, and it has come to bite me back; think so many people have caught up and become much better while I've fallen behind. I really need to up my social skills, try out new things, and start making good habits such as exercising and sleeping well. I'm gonna try to improve over the course of the year!! >.<

Things I want to improve on:
1. nutrition,
2. sleep hygiene,
3. budgeting and time management,
4. exercise,
5. studying techniques!

My most important goal atm is to get a first class degree, understand physics very deeply!

Gonna seriously try to not screw up my degree and life T-T

Additional Info about me:

Spoiler

Hey! Well done on your results! Sounds like you're looking forward to a fresh start and trying to build new habits :smile: When do you move into your accommodation? Fingers crossed your college parents are lovely :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pwca
Hey! Well done on your results! Sounds like you're looking forward to a fresh start and trying to build new habits :smile: When do you move into your accommodation? Fingers crossed your college parents are lovely :smile:

Thanks!! I move in on the 29th
Original post by PAT_22
Thanks!! I move in on the 29th

Ah so you've got a little while still. In terms of your plans to get into better habits, I've found that for me making small changes over time means I'm more likely to stick to it - so like if I was going to bed at 1am and wanted to start going to bed at 10pm, I'd move it back by an hour every few weeks :smile: Sometimes I think we all put too much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and forget that we're human - nothing wrong with small steps. Good luck! Really looking forward to reading about how you get on once the semester starts!
Reply 7
Day -20:

Checklist:

Spoiler

Today I studied some more optics from Hecht.
Hey! I'm studying physics too! Which sort of topics are you most excited about?
Reply 9
Original post by imogenbella
Hey! I'm studying physics too! Which sort of topics are you most excited about?

Most excited for new topics ngl, stuff like quantum mechanics and general relativity! (I am 100% aware it is like totally maths tho lol.)
Original post by PAT_22
Most excited for new topics ngl, stuff like quantum mechanics and general relativity! (I am 100% aware it is like totally maths tho lol.)

Me too! I prefer the maths side of it anyway so hopefully I'll enjoy it but I'll guess we'll find out
Reply 11
Day -19:

Checklist

Spoiler

Studied Hecht Optics for 30 minutes today
Reply 12
I'm flying tomorrow! I dunno what to make of it. Feels bittersweet you know
Reply 13
Day -18

Checklist:

Spoiler

Barely studied today 😔

Packed bags today, ready to transit through SG, then arrive in London on the 22nd. Aaargghhhh
Reply 14
Fun fact: a banana is a derogatory term for "A person of East Asian descent, especially an ethnic Chinese from a Western country who does not speak Chinese, considered to be overly assimilated and subservient to White authority."

Rip me and my Chinese L
Original post by PAT_22
Undergrad course: Physics
College: LMH
Arrival date: 25 Sept

I'm estimating that I wouldn't be able to make a full blog, instead this would be a dumping ground of random updates when I feel like it.

Vacation Work not done yet: Stats, Matlab aarrghhh I hate computer stuff
How I'm reminding myself: Gmail, just gna schedule the emails so I get notified whenever I need to do something important.
Stress coping mechanism: None as of yet, maybe I should get one

wow
Original post by PAT_22
You know when you try to make something a habit, it's like playing a game irl, and I don't play games nowadays T-T

1. Nutrition: (A) I aim to eat at least 3 meals a day; (B) I gotta eat a fruit for breakfast a day
2. Sleep hygiene: (A) I aim to drop everything and start getting ready for sleep at 9 am
3. Budgeting: -
4. Exercise: -
5. Studying Techniques: -

[Let's call today Day -22 since that's the number of days until the start of Week 1!]

omgg hahaa
It seems like you've been pre-studying for your course! I hope everything's going well so far and that the travelling was smooth and easy! How did your trip go? What are you looking forward to most about starting University?
Reply 18
Original post by RileyPhoenix
It seems like you've been pre-studying for your course! I hope everything's going well so far and that the travelling was smooth and easy! How did your trip go? What are you looking forward to most about starting University?

Pre-studying haha (more like trying to catch up T-T ) I'm flying off later lol.
I'm excited to meet new people and visit a new city!!!
Reply 19
Good morning lads, it has been some time since I've left my home country.

So we went to burn some incense at my grandma's, then arrive at the airport at 10 am local time, had a second breakfast (argh my stomach), received a few ang pows from some super nice-su relatives yay, said bye to my mom and then flew with my grandma and uncle to Singapore and arrived there at 2 pm to transit to London.

Haven't been on a plane since 2019 so it was fun again! Unfortunately I've never been on a transit plane twice so I mistook my London flight seat for the Singapore flight seat, thus sat on the wrong seat. Twice. (Wanna kms) And almost forgot to take my phone with me. Later on the economy class chair starts to make my long legs sore. Air plane food wasn't bad, didn't finish the beef for lunch tho cuz I have a very small stomach. Towards the end of the flight I got moved to the business class cuz my uncle and grandma was there and omg LEG SPACE I can stretch them now so happy.

Changi was pretty much unrecognizable (then again I've forgotten how it looks like so it ought to be unrecognizable technically?!) Then we went to a relative's place before eating a vegan dinner with my uncle's old classmate and his wife cuz my grandma is a vegan. Dude was Puxian but can speak Southern Peninsular Malaysian Hokkien, or Singapore Hokkien idk they're kinda the same (Puxian is a group from Southern Fujian and is a less common variety in SEA.) Grandma and uncle-dude spoke Mandarin which is sus, cuz at home all my relatives speak Hokkien, but apparently the Chinese in Singapore up until the adults all speak Mandarin cuz the government want to promote a common lingua franca among the various mutually unintelligible Chinese dialects. But yea grandma and uncle dude switched to Hokkien once they start talking about money in public which is funny hahaha.

Anyways after dinner we went to the airport at 8 am, and somewhere along here my phone ran out of video storage so i can just take pics only which sucks. Eventually I tried deleting Discord, Insta (never used but lmh frrshers use it for updates so wraaghhh I need), and WeChat which uses friggin 1.2 Gigs huh?!

Grandma and uncle went to Silverkris lounge, but since you can't take guests in there I'll have to wait outside for a bit. The place was pretty cool, shops and all (not like I like shopping) but there is this super annoying water fountain with a sensor which I can't operate. 3 people used it before I can make it to work (by asking the 3rd guy 🥲).

This is getting long so part 2 coming up soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending