The Student Room Group

Intensity inverse square law questions - homework help

I 1/r^2

The intensity of visible light from the Sun reaching the upper parts of our atmosphere is about 1.4kW/m^2. The Sun has a radius of 7.0 * 10^8 m and is 1.5 * 10^11 m from the Earth. Calculate:

i) the intensity of visible light emitted from the Sun's surface
ii) the total power radiated by the Sun in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum
iii) the intensity of light from the Sun at the planet Neptune (Neptune is 4.5 * 10^12m from the Sun)

If anyone would be able to help me with these ASAP that would be great, thank you!! :smile:
i hope i can help you if you need any assignment or academic help you can contact me on whatsapp as im not too much active on this app +971507142090
Original post by ciaramcpherson
I 1/r^2

The intensity of visible light from the Sun reaching the upper parts of our atmosphere is about 1.4kW/m^2. The Sun has a radius of 7.0 * 10^8 m and is 1.5 * 10^11 m from the Earth. Calculate:

i) the intensity of visible light emitted from the Sun's surface
ii) the total power radiated by the Sun in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum
iii) the intensity of light from the Sun at the planet Neptune (Neptune is 4.5 * 10^12m from the Sun)

If anyone would be able to help me with these ASAP that would be great, thank you!! :smile:

i) Calculate the ratio of the distances from the centre of the sun. Square it and use that to scale what we see in the upper atmosphere.
ii) Either multiply the answer in (i) by the surface of the Sun, or multiply the intensity reaching the Earth by the surface of a sphere centred on the sun and just reaching our upper atmosphere.
iii) Calculate the ratio of the distances from the Sun of the Earth and Neptune. Square it and use that to scale what we see to what Neptune would see.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
i) Calculate the ratio of the distances from the centre of the sun. Square it and use that to scale what we see in the upper atmosphere.
ii) Either multiply the answer in (i) by the surface of the Sun, or multiply the intensity reaching the Earth by the surface of a sphere centred on the sun and just reaching our upper atmosphere.
iii) Calculate the ratio of the distances from the Sun of the Earth and Neptune. Square it and use that to scale what we see to what Neptune would see.

Thank you so much it all makes sense now!!

Quick Reply

Latest