The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on the new Doctor Who?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nic7
Ha yeah, I'm definitely giving him a chance. Although I'm surprised it's Bradley Walsh! What a lad 😂

If he doesn't say "The chase is on" at least once in the series i give up :rofl:
Reply 21
Original post by markovchain17
If he doesn't say "The chase is on" at least once in the series i give up :rofl:

Ha oh god yes! He must!! The writers will never be forgiven if they don't let him say it.
They're all just gonna start running after an alien then bam! Add the line!! Definitely crack a few smiles. 😂
Can't say I'm amazingly happy about the new Doctor being a woman, but I'll be tuning in anyway of course :wink:

I really liked the 12th Doctor, it was just Moffat's scenarios which ruined it.
Reply 23
Original post by Kinyonga
Can't say I'm amazingly happy about the new Doctor being a woman, but I'll be tuning in anyway of course :wink:

I really liked the 12th Doctor, it was just Moffat's scenarios which ruined it.

Yeah, he was a great doctor, but the writer ruined him. 😔
Original post by CoolCavy
Meh not that interested, Bradly Walsh as a companion seems ridiculous.
It hasn't been great since tennant left and unwatchable since the second half of the seventh season.

He's a surprisingly good actor! (He was terrifying in the Sarah Jane Adventures about 10 years ago.) Reviews are saying he's quite restrained in the new season, compared to the other companions.
Reply 25
Original post by doctorwhofan98
He's a surprisingly good actor! (He was terrifying in the Sarah Jane Adventures about 10 years ago.) Reviews are saying he's quite restrained in the new season, compared to the other companions.

Omg!! Sarah Jane Adventures! what a throwback. I don't remember him being in it?? I'm not a true fan... 😔
Original post by Nic7
Omg!! Sarah Jane Adventures! what a throwback. I don't remember him being in it?? I'm not a true fan... 😔

I think he was the main bad guy in the evil clown episode (the one where Rani joins the gang). I miss that show sooooo much - listening to the soundtrack now and getting nostalgic.
Reply 27
I think he was the main bad guy in the evil clown episode (the one where Rani joins the gang). I miss that show sooooo much - listening to the soundtrack now and getting nostalgic.

Oh wow! I remember the clown episode!! Oh jeez I'm gonna have nightmares now...
Original post by Nic7
Oh wow! I remember the clown episode!! Oh jeez I'm gonna have nightmares now...

Considering it was a kids' show, it was really, really scary. The Trickster could easily have been in Doctor Who or Torchwood. The clowns were terrifying, as was the haunted house, the one where everyone hated Clyde and so he became homeless... it was pretty dark!
Reply 29
Considering it was a kids' show, it was really, really scary. The Trickster could easily have been in Doctor Who or Torchwood. The clowns were terrifying, as was the haunted house, the one where everyone hated Clyde and so he became homeless... it was pretty dark!

Oh the trickster!!!!!!! I have mental breakdowns over the wedding episode where Sarah is trapped in the building with him and her husband to be. eeeeeeh
Reply 30
Oh and the episode where she's gonna die off the pier as a kid and the trickster comes along and offers her to swap places with her friend. Then her friend dies instead. Holy crap I didn't realize how dark this show was!!
DW has been sort of up and down since 2005. Definitely suffered under both Moffat (who I think was more suited to single episodes like Blink - arguably one of the best episodes since 2005 - rather than ongoing story arcs) and Capaldi.
I really hope Whittaker will be what the series needs to revive it. I think it will be really interesting to see a female doctor in action, and Whittaker is a very good actress. I remember reading in the magazine a few years ago that it's totally within the realms of possibility, especially considering that it's literally about a time travelling alien who has had like 13 (believe Whittaker is #14?) bodies in space. I'm really looking forward to it.
However, it is a little suspicious that for the first time in the like 50-something years since the show first aired that it's been moved to a Sunday. Might be nothing but does kind of feel like if the ratings go down because it's on a Sunday night when people have stuff to do then it might be something they cite as a reason they should switch back to a male doctor.

Am just skeptical of him cos i can imagine him turning around in a chase seen like 'the chase. is on.' :lol:
Original post by CoolCavy
Am just skeptical of him cos i can imagine him turning around in a chase seen like 'the chase. is on.' :lol:

If he doesn't do that at some point I'll be disappointed tbh
Original post by Nic7
Oh and the episode where she's gonna die off the pier as a kid and the trickster comes along and offers her to swap places with her friend. Then her friend dies instead. Holy crap I didn't realize how dark this show was!!

I forgotten about that! That's darker than most of Doctor Who, that episode. Definitely an underrated show, I think it could've happily gone on for five more seasons.

Chibnall better bring the Trickster into Doctor Who at some point, there's too much untapped potential. Make him the series finale enemy, he's that good.
Original post by thaliaevelyn
DW has been sort of up and down since 2005. Definitely suffered under both Moffat (who I think was more suited to single episodes like Blink - arguably one of the best episodes since 2005 - rather than ongoing story arcs) and Capaldi.
I really hope Whittaker will be what the series needs to revive it. I think it will be really interesting to see a female doctor in action, and Whittaker is a very good actress. I remember reading in the magazine a few years ago that it's totally within the realms of possibility, especially considering that it's literally about a time travelling alien who has had like 13 (believe Whittaker is #14?) bodies in space. I'm really looking forward to it.
However, it is a little suspicious that for the first time in the like 50-something years since the show first aired that it's been moved to a Sunday. Might be nothing but does kind of feel like if the ratings go down because it's on a Sunday night when people have stuff to do then it might be something they cite as a reason they should switch back to a male doctor.

The ratings have been steadily falling since the start of series 9. Series 5-8 were roughly comparable in terms of ratings, but since then it's got a lot worse. Saturdays are more for Strictly (which pushed DW around the schedules) and other live entertainment shows, whereas Sundays are for drama. I don't know if the move will work out, but on paper it's a good idea. If the ratings get worse than Series 10, I don't see the show having a long-term future. Hopefully Chibnall and Whittaker can bring some new fans in.
Reply 36
I forgotten about that! That's darker than most of Doctor Who, that episode. Definitely an underrated show, I think it could've happily gone on for five more seasons.

Chibnall better bring the Trickster into Doctor Who at some point, there's too much untapped potential. Make him the series finale enemy, he's that good.

ooooooohhh yeesssss
Sacrilege! Doctor Who on a Sunday- is nothing sacred any more? It's supposed to be slushy sentimental stuff such as Downton Abbey on Sunday evenings.
The ratings have been steadily falling since the start of series 9. Series 5-8 were roughly comparable in terms of ratings, but since then it's got a lot worse. Saturdays are more for Strictly (which pushed DW around the schedules) and other live entertainment shows, whereas Sundays are for drama. I don't know if the move will work out, but on paper it's a good idea. If the ratings get worse than Series 10, I don't see the show having a long-term future. Hopefully Chibnall and Whittaker can bring some new fans in.

Yeah, I hope so, too. The only reason I'm pointing it out is that like... Strictly and Doctor Who have been clashing for years and DW has been shifting around the schedule to accommodate it. I just think the timing is a bit weird... they wait for a female Doctor to change it from it's 50-year-old Saturday night slot to a brand new Sunday time? And it's Sunday, when people won't be as likely to watch. People can stay up on Saturday for both Strictly and DW and know they can regain any missed sleep Sunday morning. On Sunday people have to put the kids to bed in time for them to be up for school and work tomorrow. Anything last minute that needs to be ready for Monday is done Sunday night. Plus, after 50+ years of it people are sort of used to DW airing on Saturdays. I can see people straight up forgetting it's on Sunday because they're so used to Saturday air time, or not being able to watch it because they have to get ready for the next morning.

(A+ icon btw)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by DSutch
Sacrilege! Doctor Who on a Sunday- is nothing sacred any more? It's supposed to be slushy sentimental stuff such as Downton Abbey on Sunday evenings.

Welp the BBC are going for a change of tone. Action packed Sundays where the elderly people have no clue what's going on.

Quick Reply

Latest