The Student Room Group

Help on resonance!

How would I go about answering this.

I’m so stuck! It’s question 4 part b that need help with.

02980F53-BF6E-4F84-ADB4-26D111331123.jpg.jpeg

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
What have you tried?

the formula for SHM in mass spring systems is T=2 π sqrt (m/k)
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
What have you tried?

the formula for SHM in mass spring systems is T=2 π sqrt (m/k)

So what I have done so far is work out the time between oscillations, this was just using T = d/v

Therefore 15/3 gave 5 seconds as the time period.

Then I worked out how much the time period increased when there was a change in mass, so this was done by working out the factor of sqrt 900 to sqrt 1030, hence I think the new time period is now 5.35 seconds if I multiply this factor with the old time period.

But I don't know what to do next now?
Original post by Yatayyat
How would I go about answering this.

I’m so stuck! It’s question 4 part b that need help with.

02980F53-BF6E-4F84-ADB4-26D111331123.jpg.jpeg

Thanks

I am assuming that you are asking about the car suspension system question.

Car suspension system can be modelled as a spring-mass system, you can watch the following video to get an idea of what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsqCj4uh9QI

Find the frequency when the resonance occurs in the problem and then determine the spring-constant using the frequency found and the mass of the car and driver.

As for (b), use the found spring constant and the extra load to determine the frequency when the resonance occurs. And use the following relationship to determine the new speed.
v = f λ

where λ is the separation between the bumps.
Reply 4
Original post by Eimmanuel
I am assuming that you are asking about the car suspension system question.

Car suspension system can be modelled as a spring-mass system, you can watch the following video to get an idea of what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsqCj4uh9QI

Find the frequency when the resonance occurs in the problem and then determine the spring-constant using the frequency found and the mass of the car and driver.

As for (b), use the found spring constant and the extra load to determine the frequency when the resonance occurs. And use the following relationship to determine the new speed.

v = f λ

where λ is the separation between the bumps.

Thanks a lot. I get it now from your explanation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest