The Student Room Group

Doing personal statement and I want to talk about the magic in music

I want to study music ba because i think about the magic in music a lot but i dont think im allowed to say that. It is supposed to be devoid of emotion?
Reply 1
Original post by thesadbadger
I want to study music ba because i think about the magic in music a lot but i dont think im allowed to say that. It is supposed to be devoid of emotion?

NO?!

The personal statement is meant to be full of emotion - it's meant to be all about you and what your proposed course of study means to you. There is no admissions tutor is going to look at a personal statement where someone has showcased their passion and dedication to their subject (albeit alongside showing what other skills would make them a good fit) and say that its a bad statement. With the personal statement, you're trying to provide a window into your personality and there's no room for being clinical with your language or style when doing that.
Original post by thesadbadger

Hi,

I hope you are well

I think it is great that you have acknowledged the magic in music. I believe it is one of its most captivating aspects. Music has this incredible ability to evoke emotions, create powerful atmospheres, and resonate with people on a deep level. So, I think that it would be important to show your passion for music in your personal statement!

It might be useful for you to think of a structure to help you figure out which section this might fit into.

For example, you could include things such as :
- Introduction
- Your background in music
- Your musical inspiration
- Why you want to study music at university. If the personal statement is for a particular university, I would advise you to look into the modules and mention the ones that interest you.
- Conclusion

I think it is incredible that you see the magic in music, I hope these tips help!

Good Luck,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending