The Student Room Group

University choices

Computer science or cyber security degree?

To start off I am currently at college/sixth form with offers from 4 unis those being:

Lancaster ( Cyber security Masters and bachelors)
UEA ( CS Bachelors )
Keele ( CS Bachelors - Dont really like this uni )
Uni of Nottigham ( Computer Science with Cyber Physical Systems )
Waiting on a rejection or acceptance on warick Cyber security

I am very very torn between going with cyber security at Lancaster or wairck or maybe going into UEA to do CS. I am not great at maths but if i put my mind to it I can easily pick it up it's just that when I was younger I never tried but now I can pick it up somewhat fast.I like the idea of Cyber security and it seems very interesting but then CS is broader and will allow me to go for more job opportunities but then cyber security course at Lancaster is a straight master with bachelors so I would be more advanced. What pays best? What else could I get from cyber security like maybe experience in programming?
Original post by Banana bread96

To start off I am currently at college/sixth form with offers from 4 unis those being:

UEA ( CS Bachelors )

I am very very torn between going with cyber security at Lancaster or wairck or maybe going into UEA to do CS. I am not great at maths but if i put my mind to it I can easily pick it up it's just that when I was younger I never tried but now I can pick it up somewhat fast.I like the idea of Cyber security and it seems very interesting but then CS is broader and will allow me to go for more job opportunities but then cyber security course at Lancaster is a straight master with bachelors so I would be more advanced. What pays best? What else could I get from cyber security like maybe experience in programming?

I will add that I do have a very competitive mindset which is somewhat toxic because I want so badly to get a good job that pays amazing ( I know it's not realistic to start but later on such as in ten years to be earning 80k-100k+)
Nottingham looks like a good option from your list.
Original post by Banana bread96

UEA ( CS Bachelors )

Hiya! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster. All of our Computing degrees have the same modules in the first year which means you can easily switch from Cyber Security to Computer Science (or any other) at any time throughout your first year if you feel Cyber Security isn't for you. Our Computer Science course also doesn't focus on the maths of CS. I did A-Level Maths and AS-Level Further Maths and found that I don't really use the knowledge there in my degree. Instead, our department puts an emphasis on the more practical disciplines of CS. Of course, there will still be some maths content but not as much in comparison to other universities. While I don't know what our Cyber Security course covers, I have a feeling there will be more maths than general CS.

As for which pays the best, I guess it depends on what kind of job you'll be looking for after graduation. If you really want to get into cyber security, then the Cyber Security degree might be beneficial for you. Otherwise, I don't think there'll be much pay difference between the two. It's usually factors like location or experience from working in the industry that determine your salary.

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster. All of our Computing degrees have the same modules in the first year which means you can easily switch from Cyber Security to Computer Science (or any other) at any time throughout your first year if you feel Cyber Security isn't for you. Our Computer Science course also doesn't focus on the maths of CS. I did A-Level Maths and AS-Level Further Maths and found that I don't really use the knowledge there in my degree. Instead, our department puts an emphasis on the more practical disciplines of CS. Of course, there will still be some maths content but not as much in comparison to other universities. While I don't know what our Cyber Security course covers, I have a feeling there will be more maths than general CS.

As for which pays the best, I guess it depends on what kind of job you'll be looking for after graduation. If you really want to get into cyber security, then the Cyber Security degree might be beneficial for you. Otherwise, I don't think there'll be much pay difference between the two. It's usually factors like location or experience from working in the industry that determine your salary.

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Hi I have done a level maths this year and got A in Maths. now I will be sitting a level Further maths, physics and computer science exam next year. I am interested to apply to Lancaster for MSc data science, 4 year course. the entry requirement states i need AAA i am a bit afraid because i think lancaster is one of the top ranked unis and they wont accept me with an A although they states that in entry requirement section.
Anything from your side would help me!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending