The Student Room Group

What degree should I do if I want to go into cybersecurity

(i do also want to leave my options very very open because i'm incredibly undecided)
I see everyone say that an undergrad in computer science is a waste of time and money and you shouldn't do it and do a masters instead with an undergrad in something else, but then i see people who did an undergrad in something else then did a masters wish they did an undergrad in comp sci.
I really don't know what to do lol, thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice!
Reply 1
Original post by atarisroses
(i do also want to leave my options very very open because i'm incredibly undecided)
I see everyone say that an undergrad in computer science is a waste of time and money and you shouldn't do it and do a masters instead with an undergrad in something else, but then i see people who did an undergrad in something else then did a masters wish they did an undergrad in comp sci.
I really don't know what to do lol, thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice!

You could get into data management or information-related degree (like information security)
Also look at requirements if you're looking to get into specific job positions.
Original post by atarisroses

Hi,
As said above I encourage you to look into job requirements for cyber security as some may ask that you have a degree in a specific subject. However, if you do like the look of the computer science courses and the modules offered then don't feel discouraged to take it as those who regretted not doing it as a masters may have felt that way due to the skills and knowledge learnt during the undergraduate degree, which may be useful for you later on. Some universities, such as the University of Kent offer a cyber security specific course of Computer Science (cyber security) Bsc https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/4397
If you still feel discouraged in taking computer science directly, there are other options such as IT programming, networking or management degrees.
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending