The Student Room Group

Is Cyber Security a good topic to talk about for a personal statement?

I’m thinking of making cyber security my main topic for my personal statement as I am doing a written project for a summer school on it and I’ve done some virtual work experience on it too. I’m also thinking of doing it on cyber security because I feel like AI, machine learning and software development is kind of over saturated and everyone is going to base theirs on those topics. Is cyber security a good topic to talk about and will top universities (e.g Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc) appreciate it
Reply 1
Original post by chisom9
I’m thinking of making cyber security my main topic for my personal statement as I am doing a written project for a summer school on it and I’ve done some virtual work experience on it too. I’m also thinking of doing it on cyber security because I feel like AI, machine learning and software development is kind of over saturated and everyone is going to base theirs on those topics. Is cyber security a good topic to talk about and will top universities (e.g Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc) appreciate it

it might be good to mention as it shows your ambitions for after uni, but if the course you are applying to is pure computer science you’ll need to make sure it contains cs content as well as cyber as it is the course you will be doing at the end of the day. also you might need to check the course modules, if they don’t offer any cyber modules and your ps is mainly cyber they might question if the course is actually well suited to you
Your personal statement is for you to demonstrate your passion for the subject by discussing the super curricular activities you have done and how you have learned more about the subject from them.

If you are applying for a cyber security course then you should be mentioning it and the related activities. If you are applying for a different course then you should discuss what you have done in that arena instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending