The Student Room Group

Cyber security at uni

Yo so im thinking of applying to warwick uni for cyber security next year. I was wondering what type of qualifications i would need. Would it be good to do a lot of extra cericular stuff like courses etc? I want to maximise my chances. I already dont have A level math so that doesnt look great XD even tho its not required for cyber sec. Is there anything o can do?
Reply 1
Original post by revo349
Yo so im thinking of applying to warwick uni for cyber security next year. I was wondering what type of qualifications i would need. Would it be good to do a lot of extra cericular stuff like courses etc? I want to maximise my chances. I already dont have A level math so that doesnt look great XD even tho its not required for cyber sec. Is there anything o can do?

Extra curriculars would be great, it gives you things to mention in your personal statement and it will show your interest outside of you subjects being studied. Things like free courses, extra reading or like try hack me are all a great place to start, maybe even work experience?
Original post by N404
Extra curriculars would be great, it gives you things to mention in your personal statement and it will show your interest outside of you subjects being studied. Things like free courses, extra reading or like try hack me are all a great place to start, maybe even work experience?

ooh yeah that would be really good actually, ive already done a lot of tryhack me stuff so that would be great :smile:
Original post by revo349

Hello! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University. I would say you can also do some small side projects that show you learned to use a tool/ language. Besides, if you like doing sports then it would also be a great thing to mention to show that you are active and participate in activities outside of your studies. I think not studying A-level maths probably won't affect you too much if they didn't list it as a requirement. At Lancaster's computing department, A-level maths is a requirement for the Data Science course (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/data-science-bsc-hons-g900/#course-entry).

If you are interested, feel free to have a look at the newly-designed Cyber Security degree at Lancaster: :smile: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/cyber-security-bsc-hons-i900/#course-entry

It might help you with understanding the general requirements for admission to Cyber Security degrees and getting better prepared for your application. All the best and I hope you will get into the university and subject that you want to study! :smile:

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)
(edited 12 months ago)
Hey thanks for the reply! Lancaster was actually one of the universities i was looking at, its great how the university has cyber security and different types of computer science that doesnt require math :smile: Is cyber security there a popular course? i dont see many universities doing it.
Reply 5
Get familiar with Linux, Python and Networking.

- 2nd Year BSc Cyber Student.
Original post by Canabee
Get familiar with Linux, Python and Networking.

- 2nd Year BSc Cyber Student.

nicee thanks will do. what uni do you go to?
Original post by revo349
Hey thanks for the reply! Lancaster was actually one of the universities i was looking at, its great how the university has cyber security and different types of computer science that doesnt require math :smile: Is cyber security there a popular course? i dont see many universities doing it.

This course at Lancaster seems to have only been created in 2022, so us student ambassadors will not be familiar with it.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Original post by revo349

You planning on being a hacker?
Original post by Miss Paige
You planning on being a hacker?

ethnical hacker yes XD

dahm i didnt even know this was a thing, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending