The Student Room Group

Comp Sci at Newcastle or Cyber Sec at Warwick?

Have an offer from both. Deciding between them for insurance. Firm is University of Nottingham for Comp Sci.

Ultimately would like to end up in Cyber Security. Just want some thoughts to picking my insurance, currently leaning towards cyber sec at Warwick
Reply 1
Original post by nhantuk1
Have an offer from both. Deciding between them for insurance. Firm is University of Nottingham for Comp Sci.

Ultimately would like to end up in Cyber Security. Just want some thoughts to picking my insurance, currently leaning towards cyber sec at Warwick

If you want to end up in cyber sec i would say warwick would be better as a back up as it would be fully focussed on it, im not sure what the modules are like at Newcastle but if they only have 1/2 modules covering cyber stuff it might not be worthwhile as you would need further training before going into the field. I guess if youre not sure or deciding between two different areas of IT comp sci would be better as it is more general, but if you are defo set on cyber i would say warwick. I had the same issue with deciding between bham comp sci and warwick cyber for my firm as well but decided i defo want to go into cyber afterwards so Warwick made the most sense, bham didnt offer much cyber content :smile:
Original post by nhantuk1

if you want to end up doing cyber, then I would suggest going to Warwick. I'm at warwick currently and it's a decent course and the uni in general has a very good reputation if you care about that.
Reply 3
Original post by ScoutLeopard
if you want to end up doing cyber, then I would suggest going to Warwick. I'm at warwick currently and it's a decent course and the uni in general has a very good reputation if you care about that.

Hii, I ended up firming Warwick lol

Glad to hear the course is running well, you're studying cyber security or a different course?
Reply 4
Let me just say that the cyber security course at Warwick doesn’t really prepare you for a job in the cyber security field.

ive had seen people regret picking the course. There isn’t much programming in it. At least professional programming.

you’ll be at the wmg building which is dedicated to masters students.

I would personally prefer Newcastle.

In the end will you regret picking the course? Well ask someone on LinkedIn. Just type in the degree and search for someone to get their opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by H3nry_T
Let me just say that the cyber security course at Warwick doesn’t really prepare you for a job in the cyber security field.

ive had seen people regret picking the course. There isn’t much programming in it. At least professional programming.

you’ll be at the wmg building which is dedicated to masters students.

I would personally prefer Newcastle.

In the end will you regret picking the course? Well ask someone on LinkedIn. Just type in the degree and search for someone to get their opinion.

Honestly I ended up firming it because I wanted to avoid all the algorithms and whatnot that come with a computer science degree. I'm not surprised that there isn't a huge emphasis programming, and obviously the course won't prepare me for real job that comes with experience.

Anyways, hopefully I made the right decision ahaaha, and thanks for your input nonetheless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending