The Student Room Group

Ionic or covalent?

I thought that ionic bonds are formed when the electronegativity difference between two atoms is > 1.8, so how is the bond between zinc and chlorine ionic in Zinc Chloride if the electronegativity difference between Zinc and chlorine is 1.6?
Original post by thedecorator33
I thought that ionic bonds are formed when the electronegativity difference between two atoms is > 1.8, so how is the bond between zinc and chlorine ionic in Zinc Chloride if the electronegativity difference between Zinc and chlorine is 1.6?

The difference in electronegativity values you quote is just a guide for reference, rather than a rule that atoms / ions must obey.
Original post by TutorsChemistry
The difference in electronegativity values you quote is just a guide for reference, rather than a rule that atoms / ions must obey.

So how do I know if a bond will be ionic or covalent?
Original post by thedecorator33
So how do I know if a bond will be ionic or covalent?

Learn a few patterns.

Most metal chlorides are ionic unless the charge density on the metal ion is large, such as ions with a 3+ charge or higher oxidation states.

Hence, tin(II) chloride is ionic whereas tin(IV) chloride is covalent.

The chloride ion is large and polarisable so the chlorides of 2+ charge metals will have an appreciable degree of covalent character.
chemistry is all lies

Quick Reply

Latest