The Student Room Group

would you expect cl2 to conduct electricty

for this a level question can I say theres no difference in electronegativy so there will be no polar bond and no permanent dipole so no partial charges. the outer electrons are held in localised bonds and so the ions arent free to move and the electrons wont carry a charge?
Reply 1
Original post by Rohan007best
for this a level question can I say theres no difference in electronegativy so there will be no polar bond and no permanent dipole so no partial charges. the outer electrons are held in localised bonds and so the ions arent free to move and the electrons wont carry a charge?

yep! pretty sure most of the time they just accept an answer of there being no charged particles that are free to move, vs ions being free to move in a molten ionic compound and delocalised electrons being free to move in a metallic lattice
Original post by Rohan007best

There are no ions in the first place- Cl2 is a nonpolar covalent molecule.

I’d probably write the following answer, depending on how many marks are available for the question:

As Cl2 is a simple molecule, there are no (freely-moving) ions or delocalised electrons that are capable of carrying a current, so Cl2 would not be expected to conduct electricity.

Quick Reply

Latest