The Student Room Group

New phone

I have a 5s but I want a upgrade. I don’t mind switching to android I just want the phone to be feature rich and good battery life. I’ve been considering the XR, XS, 8, pixel 3, s9, a8, and some of the honor phones but really can’t decide. I want the phone to look nice because ik some androids look disgusting
I have the Pixel 2. In black it looks nice and works well. And is a lot cheaper than an iPhone.
Original post by MrMusician95
I have the Pixel 2. In black it looks nice and works well. And is a lot cheaper than an iPhone.

Well idk because for the pixel 3 it’s almost the exact same price as the XR. I think with the XR I’d have to check out the screen in person because the sub 720p screen does worry me. Other than that, how do you find the OS on the pixel?
Reply 3
Get the OnePlus 6. I have it and it's great. It is pretty inexpensive, but is very fast and has a really nice OS. Bear in mind it is a slightly more budget phone so you won't get a hugely high resolution display (still 1080p which looks sharp enough) or a camera as good as say the Pixel 3, but it's still more than sufficient in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions about the device.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JackP_
Get the OnePlus 6. I have it and it's great. It is pretty inexpensive, but is very fast and has a really nice OS. Bear in mind it is a slightly more budget phone so you won't get a hugely high resolution display (still 1080p which looks sharp enough) or a camera as good as say the Pixel 3, but it's still more than sufficient in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions about the device.

I personally don’t like the look of the 6, I would’ve likely got the 5t but it’s no longer available
Reply 5
Original post by Student1191
I personally don’t like the look of the 6, I would’ve likely got the 5t but it’s no longer available

What's the problem with it? It looks similar to the Pixel 3 except it has a smaller notch than the Pixel.

You can still get the 5T for around £350 from certain retailers I believe.

EDIT: Just realised we are talking about the Pixel 3, not the XL and so that doesn't really apply. Although, you can disable the notch on the OP6 and it's an AMOLED display so it is a pretty true black.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Reply 7

Here are some images of the OS if you're interested. If you weren't aware, you can customise the accent colours. I've set mine to the exact HEX value of the OnePlus logo because I'm a nerd but you can set it to whatever you like lol :smile:

EDIT: I should probably note that I'm using the Pixel icon pack so the app icons look a bit different, you can do that easily by just getting an app.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have a 5s but I want a upgrade. I don’t mind switching to android I just want the phone to be feature rich and good battery life. I’ve been considering the XR, XS, 8, pixel 3, s9, a8, and some of the honor phones but really can’t decide. I want the phone to look nice because ik some androids look disgusting

Get the one plus 6 or the pocophone F1, both have really good batteries and are really good competitiors to the flagships! :smile:
Original post by JackP_
Here are some images of the OS if you're interested. If you weren't aware, you can customise the accent colours. I've set mine to the exact HEX value of the OnePlus logo because I'm a nerd but you can set it to whatever you like lol :smile:

EDIT: I should probably note that I'm using the Pixel icon pack so the app icons look a bit different, you can do that easily by just getting an app.

Well I’ll check out the 6t event on Monday. If not I’ll probably get the pixel 3 with a dbrand skin because of scratching like this:
726F86A2-9025-44C7-B6DE-4374D1CB2CE3.jpg.jpeg
Reply 10
Well I’ll check out the 6t event on Monday. If not I’ll probably get the pixel 3 with a dbrand skin because of scratching like this:

I guess it depends whether or not you want a headphone jack. Both the 6T and the Pixel 3 don't have them.

The Pixel is a good phone, just more expensive and imo looks worse with the large bezels. Although it all comes down to what you need it for. The Pixel 3's camera is considerably better than the OP6T's camera for example.
Reply 11

There is also a pretty big size difference between the two devices, and the OP6/6T has 2GB or 4GB more RAM depending on which model you get.
Original post by JackP_
There is also a pretty big size difference between the two device, and the OP6/6T has 2GB or 4GB more RAM depending on which model you get.

Wow 2gb is far too little, especially on Android
Reply 13
Wow 2gb is far too little, especially on Android

2GB or 4GB more.

The OP6/6T have 6GB or 8GB depending on which model you buy for each. The Pixel 3 has 4GB.
Original post by JackP_
2GB or 4GB more.

The OP6/6T have 6GB or 8GB depending on which model you buy for each. The Pixel 3 has 4GB.

Oh rip

if you can afford it get the s9 plus. Its nearly a perfect phone.
Reply 16
Original post by Fullsend
if you can afford it get the s9 plus. Its nearly a perfect phone.

From experience (S7 Edge), I absolutely hated Samsung's version of Android. I felt it was very clunky and annoying, but perhaps that's just me.
Reply 17
Original post by JackP_
From experience (S7 Edge), I absolutely hated Samsung's version of Android. I felt it was very clunky and annoying, but perhaps that's just me.

The OS from the S8 onwards became a lot more optimised and quicker. Felt more like a stock android experience.
Original post by JackP_

it has been updated. I have an s7 and i quite like the new os.
Original post by Fullsend
it has been updated. I have an s7 and i quite like the new os.

I might look for a comparison between the A8 and S9. They seem very similar. Only off putting feature on Samsung devices is bixby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending