The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do you want to go there for?
Reply 2
im thinking atm perhaps geog n economics combined
Reply 3
I love the city of dublin its fantastic aswell if thats what u meant i would love to live there for 4 years
I believe it is prestigous. I'm afraid I've no idea on cost.
I'm looking at it for English.

You don't apply through UCAS, but through a central office in Ireland. I'm not entirely sure but i think they don't make conditional offers, only post-results applications.

Quite confusing about fees, because there is a scheme in place for free fees, although you have to be an EU resident for three years to get this, TCD, say you have to have an irish birth certificate to qualify through them. It varies between colleges. If EU 4100 Euros roughly or 12000 Euros if not EU!!

Have a look at the website www.tcd.ie
Reply 6
i really wanted to go there but cudnt work out how the fees work and stuff! its a fantastic university i will b so jealous if u go there!! lol
becca
xxx
Reply 7
ah ha just spotted this on the site

The Department of Education and Science runs a free fees scheme. To be eligible to to receive this award an applicant must satisfy a number of criteria, summarised below. For more information on this scheme please consult the web site of the Department of Education.

Government Criteria for Qualification for the Free Fees Scheme
EU nationals who have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to their third level course.

EU nationality is confirmed by **one** of the following:

A passport
A national identity card
An Irish birth certificate*
* A birth certificate from another EU state does not suffice as it does not always confer citizenship rights on the holder. If in doubt, check with the embassy of the State concerned.

Note it only requires **one** of the following which is good news
tomeds
ah ha just spotted this on the site

The Department of Education and Science runs a free fees scheme. To be eligible to to receive this award an applicant must satisfy a number of criteria, summarised below. For more information on this scheme please consult the web site of the Department of Education.

Government Criteria for Qualification for the Free Fees Scheme
EU nationals who have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to their third level course.

EU nationality is confirmed by **one** of the following:

A passport
A national identity card
An Irish birth certificate*
* A birth certificate from another EU state does not suffice as it does not always confer citizenship rights on the holder. If in doubt, check with the embassy of the State concerned.

Note it only requires **one** of the following which is good news

Yea i got all that info, although if you apply and not from Ireland, it seems a bit unfair to qualify for that scheme. Also, if everyone has that, then why do they set EU fees at 4000+ EUROS?
Reply 9
Specialheffa
Yea i got all that info, although if you apply and not from Ireland, it seems a bit unfair to qualify for that scheme. Also, if everyone has that, then why do they set EU fees at 4000+ EUROS?

Under EU law all countries must charge the same fees and discounts to citizens of other EU countries as they do to their own citizens, hence in Scotland student fees are paid by the Scottish Executive for Scottish and other non-UK EU domicilled students but, because the rest of the UK is part of the same EU country as Scotland, the Executive does not contravene the rules by not paying for English/Welsh /NI students. If you, as a citizen of the UK, attend TCD then you may be charged no more than an Irish citizen would be.
Reply 10
so does it have a reputation as a top uni then? anyone know?
Reply 11
tomeds
so does it have a reputation as a top uni then? anyone know?

yes it does. It has a lot of history and good teaching as well as being in a fantastic location! I believe it was meant to be the first of a collegiate system (correct me anyone if i'm wrong!) hence Trinity COLLEGE...but being irish, they never got around to building the others :wink:
DenverDiva
Under EU law all countries must charge the same fees and discounts to citizens of other EU countries as they do to their own citizens, hence in Scotland student fees are paid by the Scottish Executive for Scottish and other non-UK EU domicilled students but, because the rest of the UK is part of the same EU country as Scotland, the Executive does not contravene the rules by not paying for English/Welsh /NI students. If you, as a citizen of the UK, attend TCD then you may be charged no more than an Irish citizen would be.

Wow, that's quite helpful! Thanks!
tomeds
Anyone know anything about Trinity College Dublin? Is it very prestigious? How easy to get in and would a UK student have to pay a fortune to go there?

Yes its prestigious - when i think of it i consider it in the same class as Edinburgh/Glasgow in Scotland - and no it wont cost a fortune, itl cost you the same amount as the native Irish will have to pay as the ROI is part of the EU.
allisandro
yes it does. It has a lot of history and good teaching as well as being in a fantastic location! I believe it was meant to be the first of a collegiate system (correct me anyone if i'm wrong!) hence Trinity COLLEGE...but being irish, they never got around to building the others :wink:

University College Dublin was supposed to become the second college of the University of Dublin several decades ago but the plans were abandoned when trinity students and faculty went totally against it.
Reply 15
an Siarach
University College Dublin was supposed to become the second college of the University of Dublin several decades ago but the plans were abandoned when trinity students and faculty went totally against it.

that's hte one, knew i'd read something about it!

my cousin's just done her masters at Trinity and loved it, and my sister's friend is currently doing her PhD! i looked at applying but it didn't do the course i wanted.

If it does what you want i'd definitely go for it!
tomeds
Anyone know anything about Trinity College Dublin? Is it very prestigious? How easy to get in and would a UK student have to pay a fortune to go there?

I have the prospectus if you want me to tell you anything, are you applying for 2005 if so your application has to be in by 1st of february, there is no ps or anything you just list your courses in order of preference and you are made an offer in mid august about a week after the exam results.
allisandro
that's hte one, knew i'd read something about it!

my cousin's just done her masters at Trinity and loved it, and my sister's friend is currently doing her PhD! i looked at applying but it didn't do the course i wanted.

If it does what you want i'd definitely go for it!

Ive looked into Irish universities quite a bit myself and im delighted the Times also do rankings for them. I wish we had a similiar education agreement with the commonwealth countries as we curently have in place for the EU as id seriously consider going to Oz or Canada but as an international student theres no way i could afford it.
roxy potter
I have the prospectus if you want me to tell you anything, are you applying for 2005 if so your application has to be in by 1st of february, there is no ps or anything you just list your courses in order of preference and you are made an offer in mid august about a week after the exam results.

Are you saying theres no PS,Ref or anything like that needed for an application; just the qualifications you currently hold? That seems a bit strange.
Reply 19
my brother (English) goes there and i can confirm he doesn't pay any fees and the only thing that's more expensive is getting there and away. you don't do a personal statement or anything as they have a very different system where they wait until after results day to set the number of points you need to get on to a course according to how many people applied and how many places they have. At the moment A-levels are worth a lot more than leaving cert but they're thinking of reforming the tarriff or so i hear. Sorry for the lack of coherence!

Latest

Trending

Trending