The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LLB Law student at LSE - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student73609
Sure no problem, I was rejected from Oxford and Kings :smile:

Did they say it was because of LNAT specifically?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
It's now compulsory, you must do the LNAT for your application to be considered by LSE by 20th January 2019 - they also only look at the MCQ; the essay is not considered.

Thanks, so do I mention in the application that I'm going to take the LNAT on whatever date I book and then they'll see what my result is afterwards? Or do I have to postpone my application until after I take the test?
Original post by Hellos1977
Did they say it was because of LNAT specifically?

No, It wasn't LNAT related :smile:
Original post by xpotatoxcartof
Thanks, so do I mention in the application that I'm going to take the LNAT on whatever date I book and then they'll see what my result is afterwards? Or do I have to postpone my application until after I take the test?

No worries, and nope no need to mention it. When you take the LNAT and you book it, you select the Universities from a list. Then, when you take the LNAT, those results are automatically sent off. So, no need to worry :smile:
You can still apply - just make sure to take the LNAT before the date, so in LSE's case, 20th Jan!
Can you explain the application process, since you applied in October how long did it take for them to send your offer. Also what is the initial assessment, what does it mean if you passed it, and when do they start it. Thanks
Original post by dreamingofstars
Can you explain the application process, since you applied in October how long did it take for them to send your offer. Also what is the initial assessment, what does it mean if you passed it, and when do they start it. Thanks

Of course. I applied in October, and went under initial assessment at the end of October, which is a holistic, preliminary review of your application. This is the part where they check your predicted grades, and your PS is also reviewed.
You can either get a decision on your application here, such as a rejection, but otherwise your application is passed onto the second stage, which is the 'further assessment' by the 'Admissions Selector'. For me, this actually happened very quickly - around a week and a bit. The guidance that LSE gave me was that it normally takes them 8 weeks within this stage, as they will compare it against other applications from other candidates. As Law is a competitive course, it may take a little longer - all decisions are made by the 31st March.
I actually received my offer in December, considering how I applied in October, so it was very, very quick. However, I know people who had to wait another month, for example, for their offers - even though we applied at the same time!
Hope this helps!
Of course. I applied in October, and went under initial assessment at the end of October, which is a holistic, preliminary review of your application. This is the part where they check your predicted grades, and your PS is also reviewed.
You can either get a decision on your application here, such as a rejection, but otherwise your application is passed onto the second stage, which is the 'further assessment' by the 'Admissions Selector'. For me, this actually happened very quickly - around a week and a bit. The guidance that LSE gave me was that it normally takes them 8 weeks within this stage, as they will compare it against other applications from other candidates. As Law is a competitive course, it may take a little longer - all decisions are made by the 31st March.
I actually received my offer in December, considering how I applied in October, so it was very, very quick. However, I know people who had to wait another month, for example, for their offers - even though we applied at the same time!
Hope this helps!

Thanks
How do you think the law course at LSE compares with that of UCL and King’s?
Original post by kookie515
How do you think the law course at LSE compares with that of UCL and King’s?

Unfortunately, since I don't study at Kings or UCL, I can't give you a very helpful picture about course quality :smile:

I personally think the course is very engaging, but demanding too at LSE. It may be the same at the other institutions.

However, if it helps, these are the course outlines for each:
At Kings its:

Year 1 -
You are required to take:
Criminal Law (30 credits)
Elements of the Law of Contract (30 credits)
European Law (30 credits)
Public Law (30 credits)
Legal Reasoning and Legal Services (non- credit bearing)

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/assets/pdf/cma/undergraduate/law-llb.pdf

At UCL it is:

Contract Law
Criminal Law
Property Law I
Public Law

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/law-llb/

At LSE, I can tell you in more detail -

LL104 Law of Obligations
LL105 Property I
LL106 Public Law
LL108 Criminal Law
LL109 Introduction to the Legal System
AND Foundational Legal Skills - non-assessed
(LSE 100 starts in the second term - January)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/law/study/llb/programme-overview
Unfortunately, since I don't study at Kings or UCL, I can't give you a very helpful picture about course quality :smile:

I personally think the course is very engaging, but demanding too at LSE. It may be the same at the other institutions.

However, if it helps, these are the course outlines for each:
At Kings its:

Year 1 -
You are required to take:
Criminal Law (30 credits)
Elements of the Law of Contract (30 credits)
European Law (30 credits)
Public Law (30 credits)
Legal Reasoning and Legal Services (non- credit bearing)

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/assets/pdf/cma/undergraduate/law-llb.pdf

At UCL it is:

Contract Law
Criminal Law
Property Law I
Public Law

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/law-llb/

At LSE, I can tell you in more detail -

LL104 Law of Obligations
LL105 Property I
LL106 Public Law
LL108 Criminal Law
LL109 Introduction to the Legal System
AND Foundational Legal Skills - non-assessed
(LSE 100 starts in the second term - January)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/law/study/llb/programme-overview

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this! It was very useful :smile:
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this! It was very useful :smile:

No worries!:smile:
Hi! In terms of hours, what does your workload look like per week?
How hard is it to get a first?
Original post by zyn9
Hi! In terms of hours, what does your workload look like per week?

Hi! The workload is quite demanding, and does take a lot of time. I've never really measured how many hours I spend, considering how I sometimes have days that are really short with less classes and lectures, so I can do more hours of work, and some really busy days where I can do maybe around 3-4 hours of work! It really depends on the day :smile:
How hard is it to get a first?

Its 70%+ to get a first, the guidelines do require a lot from you, but otherwise there are some really small things that can differentiate a 2:1 from a 1st, such as small mistakes in referencing, etc.
Hi! The workload is quite demanding, and does take a lot of time. I've never really measured how many hours I spend, considering how I sometimes have days that are really short with less classes and lectures, so I can do more hours of work, and some really busy days where I can do maybe around 3-4 hours of work! It really depends on the day :smile:

Thanks!
Hope this helps!

congrats on the offer, i was just wondering what date did you get the offer as i too applied in october and have not heard yet from them
Original post by fathima_
congrats on the offer, i was just wondering what date did you get the offer as i too applied in october and have not heard yet from them

Thank you, and I got mine in December. However, I know lots of people who got it early next year - I wouldn't worry about no response yet, you'll get one soon :smile:
Hi. Do you know if it's possible to get into Law at LSE if your predicted grades are over A*AA but also not A*A*A* or A*A*A*A*? Kind of worried because I only have 2A*A for predicted and I just got rejected from UCL for a poor LNAT essay. I have an offer from KCL and I'm just going to give up on LSE if I don't really have a chance.
Reply 39
How many A*'s did you get at GCSE?

Also how much do you hope to earn salary wise on your first TC out of LSE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending