The Student Room Group

National 5 English revision tips

I’m S4 and I’ll be doing my Nat 5 English in 2019. I’m usually quite good at English but I find it hard to revise for. If anyone has any good revision tips that would be really helpful. 🙂
Hi! Not sure if you're still having trouble revising but if you are here are a few tips.

-FLASHCARDS. So many flashcards. Just for things like poem techniques or question types.
-My English teacher says get a past paper [if you are able to] and the answers and read the questions. Then if you can't answer the question look at the answer and see if you can work out how they got to it. Then do it again and again and so forth. [I've not tried this but my teacher did get like As in every subject they took so it works for some I suppose].
-See if you can get revision books like 'How to Pass English'- Hodder Gibson, i'm sure they are online as well if you can't find it.
-There is a book called snap revision where it has all the Norman Maccaig poems with what they mean and the different techniques used in the poems. I'm not sure what poems you are reading though so this could be useless.
- Read over any notes you make and re write them. You can condense them if you want or re write the entire thing.
- If you are struggling with the critical essay you could look at old past papers and answer them. I know its generic advice for doing revision but if you learn how to answer the questions then it'll make the exam easier as you wont have to think about structuring questions and will be able to focus more on answering whats asked.
- Highlight key words, techniques, definitions to help you remember them.

Right, thats all I've got. Hope this helps if you are still having trouble!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending