The Student Room Group

Is back titrations on the Edexcel A level Chemistry specification

I was wondering whether back titrations is even on the spec of chemistry. Because I couldn't find it on the textbook, revision guide or the specification itself but were doing them at school.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
yes back titrations is important. They always ask at least one back titration question in the exam
Reply 3
Original post by Linalolo

(Original post by Linalolo)yes back titrations is important. They always ask at least one back titration question in the exam

Are you sure? Because I just checked one of the papers and count find anything
Original post by SincPsyco
Are you sure? Because I just checked one of the papers and count find anything

Well What do you mean by back titration then? Give me an example of the question. I did edexcel chem and they asked in our paper last year?
learn it. i don't remember it being on my aqa spec ( idk it may be on there ) so we were never taught it and then baM a 7 marker in the exam last year
Reply 6
Well What do you mean by back titration then? Give me an example of the question. I did edexcel chem and they asked in our paper last year?

The att5axhemnt won't send for some reason but it's where u have 2 equations and you have to work out the moles initially and original and find the difference between them to work out moles of another compound. Also there's some questions where it says aliquot and you have to use a %
The att5axhemnt won't send for some reason but it's where u have 2 equations and you have to work out the moles initially and original and find the difference between them to work out moles of another compound. Also there's some questions where it says aliquot and you have to use a %

like lets say for example we have X and we add 100cm^3 of distilled water to it in a flask then take out 25 cm^3 and react it with something. Is it something like that also? Then we need to work backwards from what we reacted with the 25cm to figure out what are the moles of the original X or something
Reply 8
like lets say for example we have X and we add 100cm^3 of distilled water to it in a flask then take out 25 cm^3 and react it with something. Is it something like that also? Then we need to work backwards from what we reacted with the 25cm to figure out what are the moles of the original X or something

Yeah pretty much
Yeah pretty much

then yes they are super important. They ALWAYS come up I promise you. I guarantee in your A level exam that you will get at least one back titration question. You need to keep practicing them and become good at doing them because they can become really abstract and weird

I think you are talking about just usual titration calculations, which you defo need to be confident with. Back titration is a bit different where you sorta do like two titrations i think. I'm not sure if they are 100% on the spec, but im sure they could easily ask you about one in a harder calculation question, as it uses the same ideas as normal titration calculation, just a bit more complex. So I'd defo understand the process and how you'd go about the calculations just in case it does come up in the exam.
Original post by number0
I think you are talking about just usual titration calculations, which you defo need to be confident with. Back titration is a bit different where you sorta do like two titrations i think. I'm not sure if they are 100% on the spec, but im sure they could easily ask you about one in a harder calculation question, as it uses the same ideas as normal titration calculation, just a bit more complex. So I'd defo understand the process and how you'd go about the calculations just in case it does come up in the exam.

can u send a pic of an example plz
can u send a pic of an example plz

I don't have any specific examples, but search google or watch a youtube vid on them if ya want to learn abou them

Quick Reply

Latest