The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry Help

Hi,there!
I am following Edexcel IAL curriculum.I have a confusion in Chemistry AS .
So,in a topic about titration,it was written that "The tap and the tip of the burette must be filled with solution.If it is not done,when the tap is opened,the first volume of solution enters the space between the tap and the tip but does not enter the conical flask at that time.The initial reading is correct,but the final reading will be too high."
I did not understand this.Can anyone please explain it?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anlasan
Hi,there!
I am following Edexcel IAL curriculum.I have a confusion in Chemistry AS .
So,in a topic about titration,it was written that "The tap and the tip of the burette must be filled with solution.If it is not done,when the tap is opened,the first volume of solution enters the space between the tap and the tip but does not enter the conical flask at that time.The initial reading is correct,but the final reading will be too high."
I did not understand this.Can anyone please explain it?

Basically, when you're titrating, you're measuring the volume of solution added from the burette into the flask.
If the tap and tip of the burette is not filled with solution, there will be a little gap/air bubble beneath the rest of the solution in the burette. So when you do open the tap to let the solution into the flask, the air bubble will pass out of the tap, then the solution, which will also fill the space where the air bubble was.
The difference between the initial and the final readings is the sum of the volume of solution added to the flask, and the volume of the air bubble.

Does that make any more sense?
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Basically, when you're titrating, you're measuring the volume of solution added from the burette into the flask.
If the tap and tip of the burette is not filled with solution, there will be a little gap/air bubble beneath the rest of the solution in the burette. So when you do open the tap to let the solution into the flask, the air bubble will pass out of the tap, then the solution, which will also fill the space where the air bubble was.
The difference between the initial and the final readings is the sum of the volume of solution added to the flask, and the volume of the air bubble.

Does that make any more sense?

Ooooooo yessss!!!!!
Finally got it!!!!
Thank you soo,sooo much for clearing my confusion!😭
Reply 3
Original post by Anlasan
Ooooooo yessss!!!!!
Finally got it!!!!
Thank you soo,sooo much for clearing my confusion!😭

No worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest