The Student Room Group

postal rule?

A little confused with this scenario

A emails B asking whether they have any dog food. B replied by post saying yes he can supply this amount for this price with a 10% discount for cash on delivery.
A posts a letter asking to supply this amount of dog food to B, but the letter is misadressed and never reaches B.

Has a contract been formed, and im confused who is making the offer and who is accepting.
any help appreciated thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by Lia22
Has a contract been formed, and im confused who is making the offer and who is accepting.

What do you think, and why...
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
What do you think, and why...

well the postal rule says acceptance occurs as soon as the letter is posted, but the letter was misadressed so it never reached? thats what's confusing me. Does that mean no contract was formed?
Reply 3
Original post by Lia22
well the postal rule says acceptance occurs as soon as the letter is posted,

Are there more requirements than just posting it?

What's your source for the rule?
Original post by Lia22
well the postal rule says acceptance occurs as soon as the letter is posted, but the letter was misadressed so it never reached? thats what's confusing me. Does that mean no contract was formed?

Postal rule is more than that. Acceptance comes from the letter being posted, when the letter has been properly addressed and stamped. Basic consultation of e-law resources is key, mah G.

So if the letter is not correctly addressed, it does not satisfy the postal rule requirements.

And the person making the offer is the one setting out the conditions -- price and price reduction. The person accepting the offer is the offeree.

There might be more to the rule, which the scenario is getting at, but I did this 4 years ago and cannot remember. I.e. started convo via email and switched to post.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending