The Student Room Group

Registered with SAAS but need SFE funding

I have been living and working in Manchester for a year now, on a permanent work contract and I am starting a masters degree in Scotland in September.

Initially I registered with SAAS as I have been funded by them in the past for my undergraduate degree (graduated in 2015).

Because I am living and working in England I have been advised by SAAS that I will be ineligible for funding unless I move back to Scotland before the 1st of August.

On advice from SFE I have been told I would be eligible for funding as I live in England and meet the residency criteria.

When registering online with SFE it says that I am already registered, but I believe this is my SAAS account.

What steps do I need to take in order to apply online with SFE? And would I be able to submit a postal application in the mean time?
Original post by Rushplink
I have been living and working in Manchester for a year now, on a permanent work contract and I am starting a masters degree in Scotland in September.

Initially I registered with SAAS as I have been funded by them in the past for my undergraduate degree (graduated in 2015).

Because I am living and working in England I have been advised by SAAS that I will be ineligible for funding unless I move back to Scotland before the 1st of August.

On advice from SFE I have been told I would be eligible for funding as I live in England and meet the residency criteria.

When registering online with SFE it says that I am already registered, but I believe this is my SAAS account.

What steps do I need to take in order to apply online with SFE? And would I be able to submit a postal application in the mean time?

Hi there,

Can you please confirm your nationality? If you're not a British national do you have Settled Status or Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
I am a British national - have lived in Scotland for most of my life - moved to Manchester in July last year for work.

My course starts in September and I plan to move to Glasgow at the beginning of September.
Reply 3
Update - I have gained access to student finance England site - I am unable to apply because it says that I live in Scotland and should apply under SAAS. This is incorrect.

I have notified SAAS that I live in England, and they have confirmed that the address I have with SAAS should have no affect on my SFE application. I have my current home address in Manchester listed in my SFE account.

I do not meet SAAS residency requirements and I have SFE advising me to apply via SAAS. I am a British national, I should be able to apply for funding but I am finding it very difficult and I feel like I am not receiving any help from SFE regarding this.

I have phoned again today and was told that there was nothing they could do because my case was “confusing”, I have had agents give me wrong advice due to mistaking England for the UK on multiple occasions.

The only advice I have been given is to make a postal application because this will “probably” work.

I have been given no support as to what to do by SFE or SAAS and I feel completely in the dark about how to apply for postgraduate funding loan.

I do not know who to escalate this to. If someone from SFE could please respond that would be fantastic.
I am a British national - have lived in Scotland for most of my life - moved to Manchester in July last year for work.

My course starts in September and I plan to move to Glasgow at the beginning of September.

Thanks, since your account is currently with SAAS you can apply to us using the paper form. Once we have this and your application is accepted we'll transfer your account to us.

The form to us is linked here, and we'd recommend posting this to us as soon as you're able.

Thanks, Graeme

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1159458/sfe_pgl_application_form_2324_o.pdf
Reply 5
Thank you Graeme, that’s cleared things up for me.
Thank you Graeme, that’s cleared things up for me.

You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending