The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I had to do one and I did it in this order, just small paragraphs.

Family, friends, department and supervisor.

We didn't have to write that this is our own work etc though.
I didn't do one, as it was entirely optional. Though I did have to sign cover sheets saying that it was all my own work and that any plagiarism or exceeding the wordcount I stated would let them deduct a lot if not all the marks.....

I'm just bunging my supervisor a bottle of wine in his pigeon hole, along with a couple of books that he lent me. I'm sure that this would go down better! :wink:
Reply 3
Oh yeah, we signed it on our cover sheet regarding plagarism etc.
Reply 4
The format I've seen in Journals is that they thank people in a footnote that isn't given a reference number but is in the same area as the rest of the footnotes.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Does anyone know what format to follow for the page where you thank your supervisor and state that the work is all your own? I think it's the Acknowledgments page. All the google hits are cheesy sites that thank everyone down to your cat (purrrr), I'm just looking for one that covers all the bases.

I feel like a tool asking my supervisor!

I just thanked participants, family & friends, my supervisor and lecturers. Just keep it really simple :smile:
Reply 6
Er, just a plain titled page with the text.

The content? A brief thanks to my supervisor, then a thanks to my Mum and Dad for supporting me through my education. Kept it brief and straightforward. Apparently some people just took the piss a bit - thanking the rugby club etc.

Didn't have to do any plagiarism stuff. No need to be concerned about it, they're hardly going to deduct marks for unorthodoxy.
Reply 7
I think it's best to speak to your university about it. Mine didn't want anything, I just had to sign a declaration when I handed it in - whereas friends at other uni's have a very specific paragraph which they have to write on the front of their dissertation. So you're best off asking your department.
rottcodd
I think it's best to speak to your university about it. Mine didn't want anything, I just had to sign a declaration when I handed it in - whereas friends at other uni's have a very specific paragraph which they have to write on the front of their dissertation. So you're best off asking your department.

Yeah, it was optional for us as well. I just did it because I wanted to show my appreciation (i.e. suck up) to the people who had helped me through my course.

Latest

Trending

Trending