The Student Room Group

About result

Hi,
I am post-graduate student and got 45 merit grade in resit dissertation. I had passed all the subjects with minimum 60 marks in each. My professor says pass marks of dissertation is 50. So, will i be able to apply PSW? Will you recommend me to appeal for reconsider the marks?
Reply 1
I got the same problem can please tell me as well 😣😣
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am post-graduate student and got 45 merit grade in resit dissertation. I had passed all the subjects with minimum 60 marks in each. My professor says pass marks of dissertation is 50. So, will i be able to apply PSW? Will you recommend me to appeal for reconsider the marks?

Is this a Master's degree? Typically you would need 50% overall to pass, and there's no reason to suspect that you're professor is wrong when they says that you need to gain at least 50% in the dissertation itself. (Different universities can have different rules; which university is this?)

In terms of the Post-Study Work visa (technically known as the Graduate Route), the rules require that "your education provider (such as your university or college) has told the Home Office you’ve successfully completed your course" (source). If you have not achieved the required pass mark, although you will have completed the course, you will not have completed it "successfully". :frown:

You refer to your "resit dissertation". Does that imply that you've already attempted the dissertation, and that the 45% was for your second attempt? Was that the final attempt which your university allows?

If you opted to appeal, what would be your grounds for the appeal? (You can't just appeal because you want more marks.)
Reply 3
Thanks for immediate response.
I am master student. Yeah it is resit dissertation it means second attempt and i think its a final attempt. I want to appeal because, i haven't got professor for resit and told i was told to follow the feedbacks to write dissertation. However, i have followed all the feedbacks given. Please suggest me.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for immediate response.
I am master student. Yeah it is resit dissertation it means second attempt and i think its a final attempt. I want to appeal because, i haven't got professor for resit and told i was told to follow the feedbacks to write dissertation. However, i have followed all the feedbacks given. Please suggest me.

I suggest that you locate the Academic Regulations for whichever university this is (they'll be in the university web site), and read the sections on the requirements to "pass" a Master's, the details regarding any option for a third attempt at your dissertation, and the appeals procedure (including what would constitute valid grounds for such an appeal).

If your university also has a Student Support team (or similar), I recommend contacting them for advice and assistance.
Reply 5
Thanks again for immediate response. I will do whatever suggested. My university is University of west of Scotland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending