The Student Room Group

Do Universities keep copies of your dissertation? Specifically Kingston Uni

Do Universities keep copies of your dissertation?

I graduated from Kingston University in 2019.

Have only just got round to applying for a masters.

I need my dissertation to help inform my research proposal on applications.

Sadly I didn't save my work and can no longer log in to my old Uni email or Canvas - where we uploaded our work.

Tried looking on my Uni's library site. Quite frustrating as there's loads of dissertations covering all kinds of years and subjects but for some reason I cannot find mine.

I phoned the Uni and the person I spoke to said that when my canvas account was deleted it would have deleted my work too. However, I question her competence from the conversation I had anyway (not nice, just a feeling she wasn't well informed)

Is this right or should I be able to retrieve it? I didn't appreciate that I'd need it again someday!
Normally electronic copies of Dissertations would be deposited with the library - but you've tried that and got nowhere.
Universities archive student assessments for a number of years in case of appeals etc. 3 years is typical in my understanding.
So while the work may not be available on digital platforms, it may be in the system "somewhere".
Someone (i.e. a member of academic staff) could make enquiries through IT - are you still in touch with your tutors / do they still work there?
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
Normally electronic copies of Dissertations would be deposited with the library - but you've tried that and got nowhere.
Universities archive student assessments for a number of years in case of appeals etc. 3 years is typical in my understanding.
So while the work may not be available on digital platforms, it may be in the system "somewhere".
Someone (i.e. a member of academic staff) could make enquiries through IT - are you still in touch with your tutors / do they still work there?

Hi Cheadle,

Thank you for this.

No unfortunately my Dissertation supervisor doesn't work there at all anymore.

Quite frustrating cos you'd think paying £27k in fee's would mean they'd at least keep your work but guess it is my fault for not saving it. Had an awful lot going on at the time though.
Original post by Craig_93
Do Universities keep copies of your dissertation?

I graduated from Kingston University in 2019.

Have only just got round to applying for a masters.

I need my dissertation to help inform my research proposal on applications.

Sadly I didn't save my work and can no longer log in to my old Uni email or Canvas - where we uploaded our work.

Tried looking on my Uni's library site. Quite frustrating as there's loads of dissertations covering all kinds of years and subjects but for some reason I cannot find mine.

I phoned the Uni and the person I spoke to said that when my canvas account was deleted it would have deleted my work too. However, I question her competence from the conversation I had anyway (not nice, just a feeling she wasn't well informed)

Is this right or should I be able to retrieve it? I didn't appreciate that I'd need it again someday!

Ask your old dissertation supervisor, I have copies of my ex students work going back decades in some cases. The markers may also have a copy.
Or did you email a draft to anyone? A draft would be good enough if you can't find the finished version.
Reply 5
Original post by cheadle

Original post by cheadle
Or did you email a draft to anyone? A draft would be good enough if you can't find the finished version.

Original post by Mr Wednesday
Ask your old dissertation supervisor, I have copies of my ex students work going back decades in some cases. The markers may also have a copy.

Thank you all three of you for your replies.

Just an update after leaving a voicemail and email to the faculty they got back to me next day with my dissertation. So within 22 hours they helpfully had emailed me it back!

Hopefully this will reassure anyone who might stumble across this thread if they have similar problems in future.
Hello,
I just came across your thread as I have the same problem.
I would like to ask if your dissertation that you got has been marked and approved on the same hard copy? Are there any signatures from the supervisor or the academic panel on your dissertation?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending