The Student Room Group

maths question - functions

func.PNG
do i have to find fg(x) with the values given from the question then do fg(x)=fg(x) to find d?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
here's my working out:
1) Find the value of C
fg(x) = f(cx+4)
= 2(2c+4) + (c+4)
=2cx + 12 + c

gf(x) = g(2x+c)
= (2x+c)+4
= 2x + c +4

fg(x) = gf(x)
C = 4

then D should be 12 right?
Reply 2
Original post by sqrt of 5
here's my working out:
1) Find the value of C
fg(x) = f(cx+4)
= 2(2c+4) + (c+4)
=2cx + 12 + c

gf(x) = g(2x+c)
= (2x+c)+4
= 2x + c +4

fg(x) = gf(x)
C = 4

then D should be 12 right?

fg(x) = f(cx+4)
= 2(2c+4) + (c+4)
=2cx + 12 + c

The line in red is incorrect. Can you check it again?
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
fg(x) = f(cx+4)
= 2(2c+4) + (c+4)
=2cx + 12 + c

The line in red is incorrect. Can you check it again?

2(cx + 4) + (c + 4) i think, yea just a typing error

p.s how do i change my profile image?
Reply 4
In general, fg(x)gf(x)fg(x) \neq gf(x) so you can't use that as a rule.
You're right that c = 4, though. You've arrived there in a weird way though.

Change your profile picture by going to the drop-down menu at the top right and selecting "Customise my TSR". Your avatar is the one that shows up on threads like this, the profile picture is only on your profile.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
2(cx + 4) + (c + 4) i think, yea just a typing error

Still not right. I don't know where the (c + 4) comes from.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
In general, fg(x)gf(x)fg(x) \neq gf(x) so you can't use that as a rule.
You're right that c = 4, though.

??? what's the right way then?
Reply 7

Here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/profile.php?do=editavatar
Reply 8
??? what's the right way then?

fg(x)=f(cx+4)=2(cx+4)+c=8x+dfg(x) = f(cx + 4) = 2(cx+4) + c = 8x + d

When you stack functions, g(x) becomes the unknown variable in f(x)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
fg(x)=f(cx+4)=2(cx+4)+c=8x+dfg(x) = f(cx + 4) = 2(cx+4) + c = 8x + d

When you stack functions, g(x) becomes the unknown variable in f(x)

'0_o I'm so confused right now!!!!!!!!!!!e got 2 I've got 2 question:
1) i though that fg(x) = f(cx + 4) = 2(cx + 4) + (c+4) - Am I wrong?
2) Why did you only used 2cx instead of 2cx + 8 = 8x?
The (c+4) shouldn’t be there, it should still just be c. When doing fg(x), you’re substituting g(x) in f(x) ONLY where there is x.
Reply 11
fg(x) means put g(x) in f(x) put g in x or g first, then x

Then once you do that compare the LHS to RHS and see what you have to do from there
Reply 12
Original post by Arifali4
The (c+4) shouldn’t be there, it should still just be c. When doing fg(x), you’re substituting g(x) in f(x) ONLY where there is x.

Ohhhhhhhh, mathswatch said something else thou that's why i did c+4 instead of + c
Reply 13
'0_o I'm so confused right now!!!!!!!!!!!e got 2 I've got 2 question:
1) i though that fg(x) = f(cx + 4) = 2(cx + 4) + (c+4) - Am I wrong?
2) Why did you only used 2cx instead of 2cx + 8 = 8x?

The question says that c and d are constants. They can't vary.

Okay, let's start at the beginning - f(x) means a function of x, where x is the variable in the function. You take variable x, you do a bunch of things to it, you've got a function of x.
So we've got two functions, f(x) and g(x). They do different things to the same variable.

Whatever you put into the brackets - that's called the argument - is the variable that's affected. So f(x)=2x+c,f(t)=2t+c,f(a)=2a+c.f(x) = 2x + c, f(t) = 2t + c, f(a) = 2a + c.
Note, that 'c' is the same no matter what you do - because the question said that c was a constant. Only one part of the function has the variable.
So, what happens if you put a function in as the argument? Well, that's f(g(x))f(g(x)). And you know that g(x)=cx+4g(x) = cx + 4.
So you can write that as f(cx+4)f(cx + 4). And when you set the variable to cx+4cx + 4, you get 2(cx+4)+c2(cx + 4) + c

So, the reason I know that 2c = 8 is because there's only one part of each function that has the x, so it'll have to be the same.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh

Okay, let's start at the beginning - f(x) means a function of x, where x is the variable in the function. You take variable x, you do a bunch of things to it, you've got a function of x.
So we've got two functions, f(x) and g(x). They do different things to the same variable.

Whatever you put into the brackets - that's called the argument - is the variable that's affected. So f(x)=2x+c,f(t)=2t+c,f(a)=2a+c.f(x) = 2x + c, f(t) = 2t + c, f(a) = 2a + c.
Note, that 'c' is the same no matter what you do - because the question said that c was a constant. Only one part of the function has the variable.
So, what happens if you put a function in as the argument? Well, that's f(g(x))f(g(x)). And you know that g(x)=cx+4g(x) = cx + 4.
So you can write that as f(cx+4)f(cx + 4). And when you set the variable to cx+4cx + 4, you get 2(cx+4)+c2(cx + 4) + c

Bruh that’s complicating just it 😂😂
Reply 15
Original post by Sinnoh

ohhh now i understand! one last question: is the answer to this question 12?
Reply 16
ohhh now i understand! one last question: is the answer to this question 12?

If question 12 is what you posted (can't see the question number in the screenshot) then that's pretty much most of the work for it.

Original post by Arifali4
Bruh that’s complicating just it 😂😂

Ay don't knock it, it worked :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Sinnoh
If question 12 is what you posted (can't see the question number in the screenshot) then that's pretty much most of the work for it.

Ay don't knock it, it worked :tongue:

no i mean is d = 12?
Reply 18
no i mean is d = 12?

Yeah
Reply 19
Original post by Sinnoh
Yeah

To find d i did: 8x + 12 = 8x + d. Is it correct?

Quick Reply

Latest