The Student Room Group

Complex integration

I need help integrating z+3i21z2+idz \int_{ |z+\frac{3i}{2}|} \frac{1}{z^2 +i} dz

So I have split it int

14λ12i(1zi1z+i)dz \frac{1}{4}\int_{\lambda} \frac{1}{2i} (\frac{1}{z-i} - \frac{1}{z+i})dz .

Now I'm unsure on how to parametrise the circle. I've been told to use zi=eit z - i = e^{it} but don't know how to replace it for z+iz+i.

Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by I Closed My Eyes
I need help integrating z+3i21z2+idz \int_{ |z+\frac{3i}{2}|} \frac{1}{z^2 +i} dz

So I have split it int

14λ12i(1zi1z+i)dz \frac{1}{4}\int_{\lambda} \frac{1}{2i} (\frac{1}{z-i} - \frac{1}{z+i})dz .

Now I'm unsure on how to parametrise the circle. I've been told to use zi=eit z - i = e^{it} but don't know how to replace it for z+iz+i.

Any help would be appreciated.

z+32i|z+\frac{3}{2}i| is a circle centred at z=32iz = -\frac{3}{2}i, but the radius is unclear. Are you sure you've written this correctly?

Also 1z2+i12i(1zi1z+i)\dfrac{1}{z^2+i} \neq \dfrac{1}{2i} \left( \dfrac{1}{z-i} - \dfrac{1}{z+i}\right)
Original post by RDKGames
z+32i|z+\frac{3}{2}i| is a circle centred at z=32iz = -\frac{3}{2}i, but the radius is unclear. Are you sure you've written this correctly?

Also 1z2+i12i(1zi1z+i)\dfrac{1}{z^2+i} \neq \dfrac{1}{2i} \left( \dfrac{1}{z-i} - \dfrac{1}{z+i}\right)

Forgot to mention the radius is r. I've tried splitting it into partial fractions.
Forgot to mention the radius is r. I've tried splitting it into partial fractions.

So the circle you are integrating along is z=32i+Reiθz = \frac{3}{2}i + Re^{i \theta} where θ\theta ranges from 0 to 2π2\pi.

You split that into partial fraction unsuccessfully... try again, or post your working out. Did you mean the fraction to be 1z2+1\dfrac{1}{z^2 + 1} instead?
Original post by RDKGames
So the circle you are integrating along is z=32i+Reiθz = \frac{3}{2}i + Re^{i \theta} where θ\theta ranges from 0 to 2π2\pi.

You split that into partial fraction unsuccessfully... try again, or post your working out. Did you mean the fraction to be 1z2+1\dfrac{1}{z^2 + 1} instead?

I found that the denominator z2+i=(z+i)(zi) z^2 + i = (z+i)(z-i) and then worked from there. I've decided to abandoned this method of mine, and would use your first line and the original fraction instead, since I got quite confused where I am integrating along.

Thank you
I found that the denominator z2+i=(z+i)(zi) z^2 + i = (z+i)(z-i) and then worked from there. I've decided to abandoned this method of mine, and would use your first line and the original fraction instead, since I got quite confused where I am integrating along.

Thank you

Have you not noticed that (z+i)(zi)=z2i2=z2+1z2+i(z+i)(z-i) = z^2 - i^2 = z^2 + 1 \neq z^2 + i ??

This is what I'm trying to sort out first... you keep saying z2+iz^2+i but factoring it as if it was z2+1z^2 + 1

Quick Reply

Latest